some help on rear suspension

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck

Reaction score
So, I am really in a hateful mood towards my air shocks. They are not bad, but being as Bear is a bobber and with my weight plus half the bikes weight, carrying someone else, even someone who weights only 100lbs, yeah, it is extremely annoying. Ended up taking a friend on a quick ride, they seriously weight only 100lbs or so, tiny little thing, and when we went over a dip, ended up scrapping the back. So I am done with it. If i could convert Bear into a hard tail right now, I would, but I am looking to just get rid of these damn air shocks.

So Where is a good place to find Springers that would work with Bear? Id like to find something for a low earners budget that will carry a decent weight. Though not having much luck by myself finding something that will work.

Will the shocks not hold air?
If they are bottoming, then they either have no air(or oil), and/or the springs are shot. Mine was bottoming all the time until I rebuilt them with new springs/seals. No problems since. :yes:

btw...the Progressive springs and seals for both sides total cost was less than $100...around $70 or so, iirc. :good:

My 1100 doesn't hold air but the springs are working no bottoming.. my 12 spit their oil out and bottoms out... so I go with Joel's suggestion.. get progressive springs and new seals.. then follow his rebuild and make your decision then... you may be happier..

The only aftermarket shocks I recommend are the Progressive 412's. Not exactly cheap ($300), but a decent set can be bought on ebay. I weigh 275, and when my wife and I are both on the bike, we over tax the suspension, but I have never bottomed out the Progressive's that I have on mine.

I'm planning on just going to springers anyways, and after looking at the Progressive 412 they have on ebay, can ones made for HD bikes work on a gold wing? and the majority of them are 11", though does it matter on the size of them?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=114057#p114057:3hd2njcp said:
Buck » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:11 pm[/url]":3hd2njcp]
I'm planning on just going to springers anyways, and after looking at the Progressive 412 they have on ebay, can ones made for HD bikes work on a gold wing? and the majority of them are 11", though does it matter on the size of them?
My '81 came with Progressives on the rear, but they were for a Harley and the grommet sizes were different. The short of it is, those springs destroyed the stud that goes into the final drive because the studs was kinda moving around in the grommet.

I would only recommend springs that are sized for the 1100.

Attachments

• d285_1.jpg
    d285_1.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 140
Thanks, I'm still doing some research on what I would need and what I can afford. I am just so sick of air shocks.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=114673#p114673:38861f3v said:
Buck » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:14 pm[/url]":38861f3v]
Thanks, I'm still doing some research on what I would need and what I can afford. I am just so sick of air shocks.

plus one :cheeky: