Clutch Nut Torque

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianinpa

Supporting Member
Reaction score
While the motor is out, I wanted to take a look at the clutch and clean/replace parts if necessary. The clutch slips a little when I first start it up during colder temps. The clutch came apart without any real problems with just a just a couple of hard raps on the breaker bar and the clutch nut socket I made (https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=339&hilit=clutch+nut+socket), but now when I try to torque that dang nut, everything just spins! So how does one keep the basket from spinning without the special tool from Mother Honda? I thought I had seen a picture of something that someone had made, but cannot find it.

If the rear cover is off, put a strong steel bar in one of the holes in the alternator rotor. One of my large drifts from Harbor Freight fits perfect.

You can also hold things still with the alternator bolt, if the cover is on.

Put it in 5th gear and make a soft piston stop out of a length of rope, fed into one of the spark plug holes. Pick a cylinder that is on the firing stroke and has both valves closed.

I was able to use a box end wrench stuck over one of the legs of the clutch plate and use is as a lever against the socket. This way I was able to hold the clutch in place and get a good torque on the nut.

Onward to the Transmission front cover/water pump.