Needed a clutch basket tool ???

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PTATSOC

Reaction score
My Bike Models
Burgundy 1980,1,2,3 Goldwing and a Black 1981 Goldwing
Need some help removing a clutch basket, the inner most nut, not the nut to remove the plates, the one behind that with the 40mm cir-clip behind it. Where can I purchase the special tool or what size socket can I cut up to fit to remove the nut. I have an 83 motor with 110K on it and replaced the friction plates at 95k and the basket was badly worn, smoothed the rough areas best as possible at the time. I have acquired an 81 engine with 25k on it (suffered sudden stop syndrome) and the clutch basket looks like new. What is the best way to pull the basket. Once I get the salvage one out I will drop the engine out of the daily driver and swap clutch baskets and install a C5 ignition, and do some other maintenance while the engine is out.

There is only one nut in the clutch. The basket (#2) is splined to the primary driven sprocket, and held in place with a circlip (#16). A large flat washer (#14) fits between the circlip and the clutch center (#3). The locknut (#12) with 4 slots is 20mm, I believe.

You also must remove the allen bolt and sprocket from the oil pump shaft before the basket will come out. The oil pump chain (#1) is driven off the basket.

On the parts manual page below, some of the numbers on the diagram don't match the descriptions in the list.

My bad! I looked at my socket yesterday, and it's 26x30. It also fits the steering stem nut and the swingarm locknut. If you can't get one, you can borrow mine.

Thank You Steve83 you had just the right info, for someone that did not read the book correctly and understand what I was looking at. Once I pulled the cir-clip undid the pump the whole thing came right off. Thanks for the help.
Thanks to everyone on the site for the input it always helps get all of us going in the right direction.
Now to continue with the salvage engine tear down.

Sudden stop Syndrome = bike that was dropped without case savers breaking a cam gear and cover and associated parts = valves hitting piston = Sudden STOP.
The engine I picked up has sat for about 8 years untouched and cylinders where filled with water so piston are rusted in, but engine has lots of other good parts that I can use.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=117402#p117402:dwqovwj4 said:
Steve83 » Sun May 11, 2014 2:20 pm[/url]":dwqovwj4]
That'll do it! I guess I should put the crash bars back on my '83...

+1 on the crash bars being an advantage. As much as I like a naked bike, I love the protection offered by crash bars in case the GW wants a rest...

Well I pulled a real dumb one last week that my case savers helped me with. I flatted both tires so that I could add more Dyna beads not thinking about how low that would make the bike, I did not put it on the center stand. Installed the beads TOUCHED the air chuck to the front wheel and the bike tipped over on to the case savers and driver boards. Felt pretty stupid lucky no damage to anything.

My 1100 had tipped.over once or twice and the running boards and case savers kept it from being flat... running boards are the best addition just fir this reason.. holds the bike up and wheels touching the ground . Takes less effort to right it....