timing belt

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trak

Supporting Member
Reaction score
never looked at the belt before,, PO said it was replaced,, I've put on over 10k ,, have never looked at it, any advise on it? Can you get to it for inspection w/o having to take the radiator out? looks like you can from the left side, if it's just two cap nuts

you can just loosen the top and bottom radiator bolts, pull it away as far as you can and have enough room to pull the inner bolts, as I remember the radiator was in the way of the bolt..I used a piece of scrap cardboard to protect the radiator fins from my hands and the tools/bolt while working.
May be OK but if the belts were replaced with cheap Chinese ones I would get them out of there, should be Gates,Goodyear,Dayco or other quality. Since you dont know it is worth a look.

you can open and look at them.. just by removing the cover bolts.. but to thoroughly check it the radiator needs to be moved so you can give them a really good look.. because if you find a belt issue yuor going to have to remove/move the radiator anyway... so give yourself the most room .. gates and napa belts are the same .. and iirc the last three numbers for napa is the gates belt number.. i did buy my 1100 belts at napa and they had them in stock..

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=126847#p126847:31eom5px said:
wilcoy02 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:51 am[/url]":31eom5px]
Put the mileage and date on the inside of covers so You will know when and how far. There are two bolts to each side of each cover.

This is a good idea, but I think it is also a good idea to write it on a piece of tape (or the sticker that comes with the Bates Belts) and stick it to the tool tray so that the cover doesn't have to come off to find out when the belts were last replaced.

I have gotten pretty lazy with the writing down bit and just take photos, one of the job and another of the odometer. I also do the same at the gas pump for mileage calculations only takes a couple of seconds and I use my phone which is always handy

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=126943#p126943:1w4bjlqq said:
Ansimp » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:03 pm[/url]":1w4bjlqq]
I have gotten pretty lazy with the writing down bit and just take photos, one of the job and another of the odometer. I also do the same at the gas pump for mileage calculations only takes a couple of seconds and I use my phone which is always handy

I did the same thing on my trip to NC. Each night I did the calculations, and I am glad I did because my cell phone crapped out on me and I lost about 100 pictures from that trip: gas mileage photos were some of those. :crying:

Always a big fear with technology, sorry to hear about your lost snaps of your NC trip Brian. :(

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=126950#p126950:36gryg86 said:
Ansimp » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:32 pm[/url]":36gryg86]
Always a big fear with technology, sorry to hear about your lost snaps of your NC trip Brian. :(

Just had to start using the tablet as a camera instead of a web-surfer.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=126830#p126830:31ys2yqy said:
Trak » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:48 pm[/url]":31ys2yqy]
never looked at the belt before,, PO said it was replaced,, I've put on over 10k ,, have never looked at it, any advise on it? Can you get to it for inspection w/o having to take the radiator out? looks like you can from the left side, if it's just two cap nuts
check out my video here. it is doing the belts on my 76 1000 , but i understand the belt set up is the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoE9rNMBpY4

I got my Gates belts off of Amazon.com They were about $35.00 shipped for both. Very cheap insurance. The job can be done in less than a day and gives you the opportunity to change the coolant at the same time.
I put the sticker that comes with the belts inside the lid on the faults tank. Every time I get gas I see it.
I say if you did not do it, or have proof of when it was done and the brand used, do it yourself.

Since I just did a replacement on Bear, I can actually give some advice for once it seems.

If you worry that the belts might be bad/need replaced, or you just don't trust that the PO wasn't just telling you what you wanted to hear, I suggest replacing them.

As I have found out in my search, Belts can look almost brand new just by looking at them. When I took mine covers off, they still looked good to the eye, but you could (after removing them) tell that one of them was stretched out a bit and was definitely time for a change. Even my two friends (who are both gear heads) when they first looked at them, they couldnt tell anything was wrong with them.

My suggestion is that if you think they need replaced, better to know that they are done instead of waiting until it is to late. Most people will put a date stamp on the inside of the covers like I did to know when they were last done.

As for taking off the covers, start with the right side cover, if you have engine guards like mine that some what wrap around the engine, you may need to loosen those a bit (not remove them, just loosen enough to wiggle) so you can get the cover off.

Belts are cheap insurance when replacing them. Everyone says to change them if not known how old they are.
But if one knows the age and milage of the belts when should they be replaced?

I did some trading for 82 wing sometime back. Need to replace head gaskets and with that new timing belts. There sure is lot of good info on this site. I will be back and post how this works out for me.

Latest posts