Center Stand remove/install

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AApple

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 Innerstate("The Turd")SOLD!!, 1996 GL1500 Innerstate
Dangit.... :rant:
Got home this evening, hotter-n-heck(100+ temps today), went to pop the turd up on center stand, and.....POP, crash.....right into the toolbox. I pushed the stand down, stood on it, and the dadburn thing twisted right off, and the bike fell over to the right side, into the toolbox.
So....can someone tell me if I absolutely MUST remove one of the mufflers to get the dang thing out, or can the shaft be snuck out past the muffler with a little "persuasion"?

It's not rusted or anything, it appears to have had a crack/split in the foot lever thingy for a while, since about half of the diameter of the hollow shaft shows some surface rust. I guess the rest of it just wasn't enough to hold it all together. So now, I get to pull the dang thing off and weld it back together....just hoping I don't hafta pull the exhaust.... :beg:

Pretty sure the exhaust has to come off, the opposite side of the cotter pin, I bought an easy lift center stand and took a look then put it back in the box..one day I`ll install it, when I have to remove the exhaust for something else.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=129445#p129445:1pr7ex26 said:
Omega Man » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:11 pm[/url]":1pr7ex26]
I gotta ask because inquiring minds want to know...did the rear tire survive? :beg: ~O~

Yeah..I can FEEL da lurv, O-man.... :cheeky: :cheeky:
:hihihi:

Not sure WHY it broke there, but it looks like it has been cracked for a while. I know it had been harder than normal to get it on the center stand the last week or so, but I just figured it was just my old man azz not having enough oommmph for it. Guess I may hafta go back to putting a 2x4 under the rear tire to make it a little easier once I get the durn thing welded back together.
I really don't wanna hafta pull the exhaust.....it's a pita with the floorboards and case guards.... :crying: :builder:
I ain't even looked to see if it did any damage to the fairing/mirror yet....I wuz too pizzed at the time... :Awe:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=129445#p129445:r2v7mmtf said:
Omega Man » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:11 pm[/url]":r2v7mmtf]
I gotta ask because inquiring minds want to know...did the rear tire survive? :beg:

Love you man, did you or your baby get hurt in the fall?

~O~

Thanks! I was wondering the same thing. :mrgreen:

Exhaust has to come off (sorry about that). Instead of trying to fix the one that broke how about getting a good one from a breaker. Might as well do it up good since it takes a bit to replace it anyway.

:Awe: Well...the plot thickens.....looks like I'll have plenty of time to mess with it.....

to be continued.... :crying:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=129473#p129473:281eettg said:
AApple » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:44 am[/url]":281eettg]
:Awe: Well...the plot thickens.....looks like I'll have plenty of time to mess with it.....

That can't be good!

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=129477#p129477:21jj4e5o said:
brianinpa » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:04 am[/url]":21jj4e5o]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=129473#p129473:21jj4e5o said:
AApple » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:44 am[/url]":21jj4e5o]

That can't be good!

It AIN'T... :crying:

Some pics..

And yer all right...ain't NO way to get the dang thing off without removing the exhaust... :crying:
So now the question is... should I spend this coming Labor Day weekend taking the tire and c-stand off, or would it be better to spend time wid Mama, since this is our 20th anniversary? Decisions, decisions.... :whistling:

So now the question is... should I spend this coming Labor Day weekend taking the tire and c-stand off, or would it be better to spend time wid Mama, since this is our 20th anniversary? Decisions, decisions.... :whistling:

I have one bit of advice that works very well for me......."Happy Wife.....Happy Life!!!" :yes: :thank_you:

Joel it looks like you could have it welded on in place once the bike is on the center stand. Ideally it would be on a lift at the same time so that it would be in a better position to weld on ( not much fun crawling on the ground with a welder)

Good ideas, all, but the problem with welding on bike is I would still need to find someone to do it, and some way to get it up ON the center stand. Sure, I can use a jack, but if I had to take it to another shop for the welding, would they have a jack? Plus, the thing dint snap off clean...it bent the crap out of itself first, but still had a chad hangin...I twisted on it a few times to get it the rest of the way off, so it will need some tweakin to get it back in the proper place before welding. Too many variables. Once it's off, I can get it all straightened up and fitting right, then take it down and get it glued back together.
I've got to rip the azz end off anyway to do the rear tire, so I'll just bite the bullet and pull the dang thing off. Steve has offered to send me a spare he has(Thanks again Steve!), so I'll put that one on, and get the other one welded back together when I can. :good:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=129596#p129596:2nsur65d said:
Steve83 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:46 am[/url]":2nsur65d]
It's on its way, Joel, and I didn't even have to dig for it! For once in my life, something was actually where I thought it would be - woo-hoo!
:good:

Just for the record, mine broke in just about the same way a coupe of weeks ago. Now I know how to fix it any way. I have Harley mufflers so it won't be so bad getting to it. Mine broke just above the foot lever but it looks like a clean break with no rust.

Latest posts