cracked coils

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenn406

Reaction score
My 1981 gl1100 has black goo dripping from ignition trigger boxes...checked coils and they are both cracked..if I replace them will the triggers be OK or will they need to be replaced too?

+1 here also..Ignitors (triggers) should be okay. Might want to replace what melted out with an epoxy. if it is still running,i would think they are still ok... I had the same issue with my 1980 and replaced the coil's with another set of used ones and filled my "triggers" with jb weld and have had no more issues. i only found mine were cracked when it would quit with just a little rain but all good for the last 10,000 miles

It has been running fine...I just noticed that the epoxy was dripping. It's only partly melted out, do I just fill in on top of what's left in them...and is JB weld the best thing to use?

I too have had the black too problem. I bought used replacements and used OEM coils. Seems to be OK now. With coils you can get new high priced replacements, get an OEM set, get OEM used 1500 coils. I would go the 1500 units. Cheap, easy to find on fle-bay.

Thanks everyone...new coils are in...epoxy in the triggers..fixed a few corroded connections .. runs good..headed to Minnesota next week. should put about 3000 miles on.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=130538#p130538:22g4x3l7 said:
Glenn406 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:45 am[/url]":22g4x3l7]
Thanks everyone...new coils are in...epoxy in the triggers..fixed a few corroded connections .. runs good..headed to Minnesota next week. should put about 3000 miles on.
:clapping: :salute: :good: :moped:
Shiny side up!! :yes:

Latest posts