compression test results

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerryb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My '83 gl1100 standard (poorly dressed) was making lots of smoke so I borrowed a compression tester. the results were 2 cyl's at 70 psi and 2 cyl's at 90psi. I finally figured out the smoke was white from coolant so I tried my hand at head gaskets. Bike runs nice now. There is still some funny clanks at startup, but they go away quick and she runs great. So I bought myself a new compression tester at sears (on sale at $44.00) and checked compression again. All four cylinders were at 150 psi (one was 2 lbs higher). This bike has 118k miles on the clock. I think I should be pleased, do you? The plan is to take this camping next summer so I want to improve reliability if I can.
There was some corrosion in one cylinder from coolant sitting in it for some time. The bike came to me a rusty mess!
Comments welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_4161small.jpg
    IMG_4161small.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_7902small.jpg
    IMG_7902small.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 132
Wow! You've done great and yes you should be pleased. One big thing to do for best reliability is be sure all the wiring connection are clean and tight. Dielectric grease on them will keep them clean.

Nice sounding numbers, the noises at startup could be related to carb synchronization, tough to imagine but it made a world of difference on mine. Best thing to do with these bikes that sat or have needed major work is to ride them for a long trip at freeway speeds. At least 100 miles or more, usually reveals any problems and will get the rings and parts loosened up.

That's a good point, I haven't re-synched the carbs since the gaskets and valve adjustment. When I first got this on the road I got rid of a lot of noise and discord by synching the carbs, adding seafoam to the system and running it for hundreds of miles. The more I ride it the better it gets. Of course it smoked on startup every other start. Now the smoke is gone and it is smoother and stronger, but a carb synch will probably be an improvement.

ATF is cheaper than Seafoam and in most cases just as effective. I let my old mercury sit almost 9 months. Carb was gummed so bad it wouldn't idle when warm. Two quarts of ATF in a full tank of gas and a week of driving and she purrs again.