Poor Idle

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zcarron

Supporting Member
Reaction score
83GL1100. When I start the bike using the choke it runs very rough for a few seconds and then idles up to about 3000 rpms. I start to ease off on the choke and it will slow down and go dead if I do not give it more choke.Eventualy as it warms up I can get it to idle at a very low rpm around 600 to 700 rpms. It seems like I am not getting fire on all cylinders.I checked the plugs and they look good. Maybe the #2 cyl. looks a little wet. I am wondering if I could have a bad coil on # 1&2. When I pulled the plug on 2 and checked the fire It looked like it was firing. What else could I check before pulling the carbs. :Awe:

start it up. after about 5-10 seconds feel the header pipes right under head for each cylinder to see if there hot. If a cold one that cylinder is not firing. BE CAREFULL HEADER WILL BE HOT.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=142090#p142090:2afaqclq said:
auctioneeral » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:51 am[/url]":2afaqclq]
start it up. after about 5-10 seconds feel the header pipes right under head for each cylinder to see if there hot. If a cold one that cylinder is not firing. BE CAREFULL HEADER WILL BE HOT.
Use the back of your hands/fingers as it is easier to feel the temp and if you burn yourself it will not be as bad ( you react quicker on the more sensitive side and don't have a grabbing reflex)

I'm no Wing expert but I was thinking air leak. Rough start with high idle?

A partially fouled plug could also cause issues (one might be establishing a carbon track).

Checking header temps is a good idea. Then I'd install new plugs or spray starting fluid around the intake boots to check for an air leak.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=142089#p142089:1lwc918g said:
zcarron » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:05 pm[/url]":1lwc918g]
83GL1100. When I start the bike using the choke it runs very rough for a few seconds and then idles up to about 3000 rpms. I start to ease off on the choke and it will slow down and go dead if I do not give it more choke.Eventualy as it warms up I can get it to idle at a very low rpm around 600 to 700 rpms. It seems like I am not getting fire on all cylinders.I checked the plugs and they look good. Maybe the #2 cyl. looks a little wet. I am wondering if I could have a bad coil on # 1&2. When I pulled the plug on 2 and checked the fire It looked like it was firing. What else could I check before pulling the carbs. :Awe:

600-700rpm is pretty low to set the idle to begin with. Most any bike would have to be good n warm for that low an idle. Should be more like 1000-1100 rpm I would figure. My 84 purrs at 1050 and I keep my 76 closer to 1100 or so.

Good point on the rpm. Even if it can/ does run a smooth steady idle at 500 - 600 rpm. The stator can't charge at that low of an rpm. From the first wing in 75 to at least the 84 1200 I have really are happiest idling very close to 1000 rpm.

When cold, you are supposed to use the choke and slowly decrease the choke as RPM increases. Agreed that if you have your idle set at 6-700, it will stall when cold and even have a hard time when warm.

Ok the #2 cyl is not firing. The header is cold when I start it up. So I guess the coil must be bad. Looking at it I can't see easy way to get to them. I have the seat and fairing lower panels off. There is a plate between the fan and engine so I don't see how to get to the coils .

#2 coil fires both #1 and #2 so if the coil is bad then #1 should be affected also.
Could be you have a bad plug wire, boot, resistor, spark plug. I don't think its a bad coil.

I think I will make up a plug wire for that cyl. and see if it fires the cycl. I will then change the plug if no fire. There is not that many miles on these plugs but you never know.

Pull the plug, if it is a no spark situation it will be covered in unburnt fuel. If it is dry then you have a carb problem as suggested by Slabghost :yes:

Okay so they are likely just gummed up a bit. Probably time to clean them up. If you run atf in the fuel that can be avoided indefinitely.

Latest posts