Front brake skweeeel

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AApple

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 Innerstate("The Turd")SOLD!!, 1996 GL1500 Innerstate
Front brake squeal...drivin me NUTZ...
crazy-sign-smiley-emoticon.gif

Regular EBC F29 sintered/organic pads. New pads, old pads, don't matter. All of the anti-squeak shims are in place both sides. New pads last week, even sprayed the backs(and shims) with "Anti Squeal/Disc Brake Quiet" stuff. Don't matter. Rotors do have minor groovage, but they are not rough. The only thing I have not done yet is to remove the slides from the caliper mount bracket and lube them....I dint have any brake lube at home. All bracketry and bolts are tight. Rotors are tight on the wheel.
WHF?!? The only time they do not make noise is if they are wet. It's like having a big rig drive next to you all the time with the brakes squealing....it's that dang loud. The rear brake has only made noise when the pads were down to the metal.
Should I use a different pad compound? I bought new front pads a couple weeks ago because I figured they were getting down to the metal, but when I changed them, the ones that were on it still have well over 1/2 of the material still on them...in fact, they looked barely used. Ideas?
Signed...lunatic in the making.....

whacky110.gif

Are the rotors glazed? Scuffing the glaze off might fix it if so. I believe on cars some recommend a spot of high temp rtv between the pads and shims. Good luck.

I fergotted to mention I'm gunna pull them both off and run a sanding disc over both sides of both of them. They are kinda shiny. If it keeps raining here, I may pull them off tonite and bring them to werk tomorry and scuff them up. :good: :thanks:

Scuffing should help to break the frequency pattern on the rotor. Rotors can be like machining a shaft in a lathe, once the "chatter" is in its hard to eliminate it without changing the "frequency". The pads will follow that pattern the same way a needle on a record does and once its in there the only way to get rid of it is to cut it out. Scuff em up real good and make sure that your pistons are fully disengaging when you let off the brakes by rotating the wheel after you break to be sure there is no resistance. Wanna have the wheel off the ground for that and spin it by hand. If its rubbing you will hear it.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=147531#p147531:oqvm5m23 said:
AApple » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:55 pm[/url]":eek:qvm5m23]
I fergotted to mention I'm gunna pull them both off and run a sanding disc over both sides of both of them. They are kinda shiny. If it keeps raining here, I may pull them off tonite and bring them to werk tomorry and scuff them up. :good: :thanks:
If the pads have a shine or wear pattern they should be scuffed flat again too. Might find you have nice strong brakes up front afterward. :good:

I could be wrong on this, but aren't the paper gaskets between the rotor and wheel hub there to help prevent some squeal? If they're missing, that might be part of your noise.
+1 on de-glazing the rotors.

[url=https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=147535#p147535:uuvrw8z8 said:
Steve83 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:01 pm[/url]":uuvrw8z8]
I could be wrong on this, but aren't the paper gaskets between the rotor and wheel hub there to help prevent some squeal? If they're missing, that might be part of your noise.

:headscratch: Hmmm....ya mean THESE? #12? "Shim, Damping, 82I, GL1100'82" ?

Looks like it is saying they are only on the '82 models....
I have had the rotors off each time I changed tires, but I do NOT remember ever seeing any kind of shim, paper or otherwise there....but it's a thought. :thanks: :yes:

Hmmmmm looks like an asbestos base, paper gasket.....I think I could cut a couple of those meself out of some gasket material....

81 had smooth no grooves or holes for gasses to escape, & brake dust builds up. Seems when I had my 1100s cleaning everything, pads, & discs would work for a while, but not for long. Read about this somewhere the gas being trapped, & that's why grooves, & holes. Also cleans out dust

Mines an 82 but this process should be similar. When I bought my Wing the P.O. said he had recently done the brakes. However they squealed so bad it was downright embarrassing and just made the whole bike seem like a piece of junk. I mean even just pushing it around in the garage the brakes squealed. So I bought all new pads and began to remaintenance and install them. BTW the P.O. was telling the truth, the pads were indeed recently replaced. Anyway, I am a very meticulous guy and I carefully cleaned up the pistons before pushing them into the calipers, also the spring clips etc. I cleaned up the retainer pins until shiny and then regreased them. I double cleaned everything with brake cleaner and blew it all out with compressed air. Finally applied anti squeal spray then anti squeal grease on the back side of the pads. Hundreds of miles later and not a peep.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=147536#p147536:3ds68qyd said:
AApple » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:02 pm[/url]":3ds68qyd]
[url=https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=147535#p147535:3ds68qyd said:
Steve83 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:01 pm[/url]":3ds68qyd]

:headscratch: Hmmm....ya mean THESE? #12? "Shim, Damping, 82I, GL1100'82" ?

Looks like it is saying they are only on the '82 models....
I have had the rotors off each time I changed tires, but I do NOT remember ever seeing any kind of shim, paper or otherwise there....but it's a thought. :thanks: :yes:

Hmmmmm looks like an asbestos base, paper gasket.....I think I could cut a couple of those meself out of some gasket material....
They're also on my '83. They're very thin.

Those paper shims/ washers are also on my Cbr discs. It may just be an electrolysis barrier.

Well, I got the rotors off this weekend, and used an 24grit Roloc disc in the die grinder to scuff the pee out of them, then went back over that with a medium Scotch-brite roloc. They did clean up fairly well. I did measure them before, and they were both right at 5mm, even on the very inside edge, where the pads don't ride. Minimum thickness is stamped on them as 4mm. I scuffed the new pads up with 80 grit emery cloth, and also sawed a groove at a right angle across all 4 pads. I had already beveled the edges of them when I first installed them.
Took the caliper brackets off, pulled the slider pins out, cleaned, and greased them(disc brake grease). Cleaned all of the shims up nice and purdy, and put a dab of brake grease on the contact points. The results? I'm glad you axed.....
Almost 100% skweek-free, on the ride in this mernin. But it took at least halfway here before they actually started working/braking. A wee bit scary for those first 20 miles, to say the least! :shock: They finally bedded in some, and now stop as well as it ever has, BUT.....I STILL have a little skweekage just as it comes to a complete stop. Not much, and a lower pitch than before, but still a noise. It might get better after a few more miles...at least I'm hoping it does. Right now, at least it's not totally embarrassing. :blush: I'm gettin tired of the guys at the shop sayin "Put some new pads on that turd!", and me replying "These ARE NEW PADS!". :rant: :Awe: Not that I really give a s :sensored:t what they say.
Next time I have the rear tire off(and you know I will have it off :hihihi: ), I'll do the same with the rear rotor.
I wuz gunna take some pics of the before/after, on the rotors, but I got so into doing them, I fergot aboot the pics.... :whistling:

24 grit Roloc
41wGF7SQ0kL._SY300_.jpg

Medium Scotch-brite disc
ABR7480.jpg

Glad to read of your success. Yes I think a few more rides they'll seat more fully and should stop you like new. Time now for me to ride in to work. :BigGrin:

I don't know if you have much dust around Joel, most times I have squeeling pads issues it is because of road grime etc and eventually it wear off/out. Hope that is what happens to your squeel, if not then it maybe the pad material. :(