Rear Brake Question

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcol

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The rear brake on my 1981 Interstate has always been weak in my opinion. I have replaced the pads and the rotor looks fine but you really have to push hard on the pedal to get much stop action. I don't think it would be possible to lock the rear wheel at running speed even if you wanted to. I have ridden newer wings and I feel much more stopping effect from the rear brake. The brake does work will stop the bike if pressed hard but most of the real stop is coming from the front. I have drained and bled the lines and the pedal is not soft. As I am thinking about selling the bike this is probably something I need to address. Could there be a glaze on the rotor or do if need to simply start replacing things like the caliper or MS? Any advice will be appreciated.

On my 83 with linked front and rear, I can just about lock the rear tire.
I imagine it's proportioned that way. My rear rotor is glazed and grooved. It's in bad shape.

If you have dual piston caliper, one piston could be lazy.
Could also be contaminated pads with oil or brake fluid in the past. Not much can be done to fix that other than new pads. Maybe sanding them but pads are cheap.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=149568#p149568:1ff8p5n2 said:
bronko37 » Tue May 26, 2015 7:47 am[/url]":1ff8p5n2]
Does this bike have a linked system? I cant remember what year that started in.
Linked brakes did not start until '83. Also, the '81 brakes use the single piston calipers.

I have the same problem with my rear brake, but it only started being like that after rebuilding the rear master cylinder. There is no air in it, and I have new pads, but it just don't seem to grab as well as it used to, even with crappy pads on there. I rarely use the rear brake anyway, but it would be nice to have it work properly when I do need it. I could(and have) lock the rear fairly easily before in panic stops, but now...it's hit or miss. I'm thinking the hose(s) are swelling on mine. I'll eventually go with a braided hose set-up, for sure.

Is it a floating caliper or a piston on each side like the 1000's have, because those really suck. I redid the complete brake system on both my 76 and my 84 and the 84 is like riding on a modern sport bike compared to the 76 brake system.

If you have front brakes then you have brakes, the rear is just a small assist IMO. All the braking is in the front of any vehicle anyway so.....chalk it up to poor engineering.

A mate rode the Rats Nest on Saturday and his complaint was not much back brake, then he was comparing it to his 82A ( best brakes in my opinion. 2 pot calipers all round and ventilated fronts, imagine that on a naked :good: )

Yes it's single caliper and standard lines. I did take the caliper off and looked at the pads. They are only slightly worn. I worked the pedal while holding the caliper in my hand and it seems to me that it takes a fair amount of pedal pressure to get the caliper to move but that is a very subjective test. The caliper does move free enough and presses back easily. I sprayed the pads and both sides of the rotor with brake cleaner and put it back together. It's working better now. I can now lock the wheel at lower speeds if I want to. Still not like my 83 Aspy's brakes so I think I will look for a used caliper and see if that improves things. Thanks

This was a problem I had on my 81. It uses a single piston caliper. Mine was the master cylinder had gotten contaminated. It plugged the holes up in it so brake force was reduced. $35.00 kit on eBay and some serious cleaning fixes the problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts