pressure test

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flash2002

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm doing a pressure test on my 84 I got the other day. I took off the rad and installed my pressure gauge on the motor. I pump her up to 25 lbs and let it sit, after 1 1/2 hrs it still at 25 lbs. The guy I got it from said there was water in the oil, from what I can see there is no leaks. Is there some other place the water would come in ?
I was thinking, maybe what was in the oil was gas. All he told me was when he took the gauge out to check the oil, it was full to the top so maybe he presumed it was water from the rad. The bike looks good when you look at it, has I am taking it apart I notice a lot of things that are wrong and repaired with wire and nails. I will keep working on it maybe I will find the problem. Some people should not own motorcycles, they should stay with there cars.

Attachments

• $_20 (3).JPG
    $_20 (3).JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 119
Do the pressure test when hot, just to verify. Sometimes things leak most when everything is hot, and metals expand. :good: Hope it ain't coolant, tho....perhaps he never turned the fuel petcock off, and the extra volume in the oil IS fuel. :beg:

Smell the oil! Then if no gas smell try warming it. If it smells of gas drain it out and put some cheaper oil in until you get this fixed.

I did check most of the stuff you guys are talking about but, I could only go so far, the bike is in my work shop so I cant start it. I did think about the water pump but with the pressure that's in there it should show a leak. Anyways I will probably take the motor apart to make sure the clutch, water pump, stater are all good, I normally change these parts to make sure, I don't want to go back in.

Make sure the drain-weep oil on the bottom of the front trans cover is not plugged up, all but one that I have worked on, the weep hole was plugged solid due to dirt dobbers or buildup of dirt road travels, then see if it starts to leak.

Latest posts