GL1200 Turn Signal Switch: UPGRADE from '84 to '85, 86 ??

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Write2Paul90277

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I may just be a cranky guy, but I absolutely HATE the turn signal switch on the 84 GL1200 (hard to activate, rarely self cancels, constantly makes random solenoid "click" sounds).

But I LOVE the turn signal switch the 85, 86 and 87 GL. The push-to-cancel feature feels "just right."

So. Could I upgrade? The connectors APPEAR to be the same (see pics, which I lifted from eBay)

Any opinions on whether upgrading to the newer switch would be "plug and play?" Or am I just asking for trouble/disappointment?

Thanks,

Paul

Attachments

• GL1200 turn switch comparison.jpg
    GL1200 turn switch comparison.jpg
    317.4 KB · Views: 174
Look in the gallery for the 1200 Electrical Manual page 66-67. Should help, the manual doesn't designate a difference in the year models on the Interstate and Aspencade models that I could see.

"Caution, Will Rogers"

The 84 part number : 35200-mg9-771, is different from the 85 part number: 35200-MG9-682, which is different from the 86 part number : 35200-ML8-671. Honda fiche says the 84 switch is used only on the 84. :read:

Will it work? :headscratch: Don't know. Obviously you should obtain an 86 switch and take the plunge.

Good Luck and let us know what happens. :popcorn:

Thanks, PurpleGL1200I,

Yeah, I suspected as much with the part numbers on the switch. I'd be curious to find out how the part numbers on the main wiring harnesses compare.

Perhaps most revealing would the comparing wiring diagrams between the different bikes, and check the wire colors where the switch connects with the harness.

I will heed your warnings -- then probably stumble headlong into getting the newer switch, plugging it in, and hoping my bike doesn't melt into one big gooey blob.

In the meantime, I'll do a little more homework!

Best,

Paul

Latest posts