Radiator fan contacts shroud after Poor Boy Conversion.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark4Jesus

Reaction score
Finishing up on my Poor Boy Conversion. When I installed the radiator and got the electrical hooked up I ran the fan to make sure that it would not contact the radiator, and it did not. Started the bike and everything was fine; however, when the engine heated up the fan started contacting the shroud. When engine was cold there was no contact. The fan blade was contacting the shroud at the 1 o'clock area. I used a screwdriver and pushed the shroud up and the contact moved to 11 o'clock! Engine was hot, not overheated, and it made it difficult to do much. I am going to try again tomorrow when I get home and the engine is cool.

I sure hate to pull the radiator again. Any ideas on what to do? I though about trimming the blades, but if I don't get them trimmed evenly, I am afraid it will induce vibration. Of course it might be impossible to trim with it installed.

I'm not picturing what you are calling a shroud. Are you talking about the frame holding the fan or another part? Is something putting pressure on the fan motor causing this?

Yes, it is part of the metal frame that the fan sets inside of, the metal circle around the fan. It reminds me of the plastic shrouds around car radiator fans. It was fine cold, didn't start until it heated up. Are you familiar with the fan adjustments on these conversions?

Most of these conversions I've read about ended up kicking the bottom of the radiator fwd a bit. I've not done the conversion myself so just going on what I've read others have done. Look close and see if the fan motor or housing is being pinched somewhere.

Here is a pic from another forum that shows the fan inside the metal that I am calling the shroud.

Attachments

• P1040559_zps63c65c3d.jpg
    P1040559_zps63c65c3d.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 147
That's a really tight fit for sure!

Well the fan shouldn't have come on when the motor was cold unless you bypassed the temp switch. Cold motor no fan moving so no contact. Warm motor needs fan. Now contact. Something has been pushed.

Forgot to mention that it has a bypass switch that the PO installed. That is how I was able to check it. Engine was off, key on. Forgot that important piece of info!

Did you do any modifications or tweaking of the shroud or mounts for belt or pulley clearance?
How about moving the radiator forward. Possible the radiator is twisted, in turn twisting the mount just enough?
Something is out out of align.

If it stops when it cools off that will be a hint. I think the shroud is getting warped with the heat and the new angle that it sets on the radiator. It was dark when I discovered this and trying to look at it with a flashlight was a pain. Tomorrow when there is more light I will probably see what the issue is.

The conversion adjusts the angle of the radiator and how the fans sits in relation to the radiator. Quite a few modifications.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Joe, thanks!

Pulled the radiator back out and trimmed the fan blades. Put everything back together and idled bike to five bars on the temp gauge. Fan worked great, no rubbing! At five bars the fan cooled the engine down to 4 in the usual time. Thanks for the help and suggestions! Now to do the mods to the faring.

On the road again! Poor Boy is complete! Went on a test ride this evening and everything was great! Thanks for the help and suggestions!