Drips from under rear brake disc

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcusknight

Reaction score
Does anyone ever find something dripping from their rear brake disc? I have a 1984 Interstate and I have noticed a rusty colored watery liquid. I am thinking this is from condensation on some of the rear components collecting and dripping down the brake disc onto my floor. Experience?

You can have a solid pedal and little fluid loss and still have a leak, reach up and run your finger on the lowest part of the caliper, the piston side where the line attaches.

Should be able to touch the fluid with your fingers and tell if its nasty water or brake fluid. However, if any of that brake fluid got on the rotor the rear brake would not work very effectively at all. If the brake is working and the suspected fluid does not feel like oil, then its water condensing and running down from somewhere.

I went down to the garage and took a few pics. Still getting fluid leaking. When I touch it and smell it, it smells rusty. Feels water rusty with a little bit of slipperiness to it. Certainly not straight oil. It also seems to be evaporating from the floor I think, although a stain remains.

I did notice as you will see on at least one pic, there is a piece of hardware that has a layer of of film from something on it. Another picture shows the bottom of my brake disc which does not show much now. Another picture shows the spot on the floor after I ran my finger through it. You can still see the color it is. Bike has been on center stand. Ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_2341.JPG
    IMG_2341.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 358
  • IMG_2338.JPG
    IMG_2338.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_2337.JPG
    IMG_2337.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 357
as been said either the shock or brake fluid, both smell and feel a little slippery. all you need to do is get some degreaser or simple green and spray the shock and caliper then hose it of, take it for a ride and see where it is leaking, if it helps brake fluid is water soluble, shock fluid is not...maybe catch some then put it in water and see how it reacts.

After spraying clean, dry spray powder of some sort or other. Baking soda, etc, you get the idea. :yes: Source should rear it's head with a trail right up to it in the dry powder. :wave:

Shocks are pretty easy. If the bike is up on the center stand and no hardbags are in the way. If one is bad it's best to replace both. Be sure to take note how the air lines are routed and connected if they are air shocks. Most are.

Anyone know what it would roughly cost to have someone rebuild a rear shock? Trying to decide if it is better to rebuild or just find a salvaged one to replace it with.

I don't know of anyone who will do the rebuilds. Several members here have done their own shocks though.

I've never heard of anyone offering that kind of service but maybe someone here might want to make a couple bucks doing them for you?
Could also buy the progressives replacements. I'd stay away from used. Used means already worn out in my experience.

If you just want to replace the leaking seals, its really not a hard job at all. It'll take longer to get the durn shocks off the bike than it will to install new seals. Seals are not expensive at all...around $8 or so, on average.

cheapcycleparts has them for $11.11 right now...they were cheaper last time I got some for mine, aboot a year ago. Use their part # and shop around. :yes: