1984 Gl1200 Interstate Horrible gas mileage

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightcorona

Reaction score
As I am working through all my fun problems on this restore. I am noticed on my short rides still working out power problems it doesnt have a great deal and struggles at highway speeds but I was wondering what the prime reasons for real bad mileage are?
I went about 22 miles and burned 2 gallons of gas. This isn't a hummer.

I will check out the choke and look at the carbs in general. What is the float setting. I did some looking but it wasn't easy to find. Does the float cause that kind of thing? Thanks guys you got my bike on the road.

On the 1200 carbs the enricheners are tied together by a linkage across the top of the carb bodies front to back on either side so moving the choke cable should let you see linkage movement.

The float can certainly cause trouble, usually the tiny plunger spring in the needle gets weak and does not cut off the fuel when the float level setting is reached but allows a bit more fuel in the bowl before it shuts down, best way to tell if your fuel level is set right is to bench fill the carbs with a funnel and fuel line then remove the fuel line so no extra gas get`s in then measure each bowls fuel by removing the fuel bowl drain screw and draining into a beaker or other measuring container that has CC`s marked on it..think I found they should have 52CC`s of fuel each bowl give or take 1 CC.
If you are unsure about the float needles replace them all, I was surprised at how weak all 8 used floats needle springs were when I compared them to new ones, rubber looked great but needle springs were weak, replacement took care of my intermittent flooding issue for good.
By the way the first carb you drain will have a few extra CC`s of fuel due to the extra fuel in the fill tube, I check mine 2 or 3 times and make the second drain another carb first to check all of them thoroughly.

Latest posts