1985 LTD Repair of Fuel Low Level Light and Travel Computer

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rednaxs60

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since I had my side stand interlock/indicator light circuit completed, I decided I would tackle the thermistor issue with the low fuel level light not working and the travel computer QTY and RANGE not functioning. I have to say that the thread by sprotsfreaked on Goldwing Docs was the impetus for this fix.

I checked my travel computer readings for QTY and RANGE and found these were flashing dashes as mentioned by sportsfreaked. I knew the low fuel level light did not come on because last year I almost ran completely out of gas even with one bar showing on the dash fuel level.

This afternoon I took the fuel sending unit out of the bike. It is located under the seat:
Fuel sending unit at start of work.jpg

Next item removed was the seat cross brace to give more room. The brace is connected with two 12mm bolts and where the front of the seat is secured there are 2-10mm bolts:
Fuel sending unit at start of work - 1.jpg

Next was to remove the seat cross brace and sending unit securing ring:
Cross Brace Removed.jpg
Removal of the cross brace gives more room to work.

Once this was done the sending unit came out very easy. Here it is on the work bench:
Fuel sending unit on bench.jpg

There is a securing tab that is attached to the bracket holding the thermistor housing in place and keeps the thermistor plastic piece in the thermistor housing. I had to pry this away from the thermistor housing to remove the black retaining piece that secures the thermistor inside the housing:
Thermistor housing securing tab removed from housing.jpg

The thermistor is secured to the bottom of the housing:
Low fuel level thermistor attachment at bottom of thermistor housing.jpg
This small bit of solder has to be removed to make way for the new thermistor install.

Once the securing tab was out of the way, the black plastic piece in the housing can be removed that holds the thermistor in place. The thermistor is also connected to the bottom of the housing and this has to be removed.
Old Thermistor Removed from housing.jpg
This picture also shows the thermistor out of the housing.

When working on removing the old thermistor, the housing is soldered to the thermistor housing retaining piece.

I used a soldering gun and removed the old thermistor and installed the new thermistor in its place.
New Thermistor installed.jpg

I installed the new thermistor length the same as the one taken out. The long end of the thermistor that will fit through the end of the thermistor housing will be cut off after it is secured in place.

Once the thermistor is connected to the sending unit wire, the install is the opposite of the removal. You have to fit the thermistor into the housing and secure the unattached piece of the thermistor to the bottom of the housing with a dab of solder. Push the black "grommet" into the housing and squeeze the securing ring back into place so that it looks like the unit when it was removed from the bike.

Once the thermistor is back in the sending unit, the sending unit install is the reverse of how you take it out. The sending unit is oriented towards the front of the bike. The tab on the sending unit is oriented such that it is towards the front of the bike.
Cross Brace Removed - 1.jpg

The sending unit securing ring also has an arrow that indicates how it is to be installed. The arrow is oriented towards the front of the bike.

Once I had the unit installed, the amount of fuel is not at a level to illuminate the low fuel warning light; however, I did test the travel computer QTY and RANGE functions. The dash went thru the checks as per normal. I checked the travel computer QTY and RANGE indicators. I now had numbers instead of flashing dashes. This is the QTY reading:
Travel Computer - QTY.jpg

This is the RANGE function working properly:

If sportsfreaked is correct, I should now get a low level indication. I will report on this when i next go for a ride and let the fuel level drop.

Another good afternoon.

Aftermarket thermistor from Mouser Electronics - Amphenol Advanced Sensor RL2004-582-97-D1 NTC Sensor

Mouser P/N 527-2004-1K
MFG P/N RL2004-582-97-D1

Out on the bike this afternoon and letting the fuel level drop. Hope the low fuel warning light comes on about 4 litres left in Tank, presently at 5.5 litres.

Cheers

Went out today and let the fuel drop in the tank. The low fuel level light came on when the QTY indicator said I had approximately 4.0 litres left in the tank. Rode about 2 more Kms and filled up. Put 19.5 litres in the tank. Fuel tank capacity is 22 litres, so I have 2.5 litres remaining when the light comes on. Now I know what to expect.

All indicators for the fuel system are now working.

Good little project.

Latest posts