1200 shock rebuild,with progressive springs

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denver

Reaction score
Decided to upgrade shocks on new to me 84 standard,with new seals & progressive springs,as can't afford new shocks from them. In the process of blowing out seal,lost the thin retaining ring that stops the guide bushing for the seal,from going too far in when shock hits a bump.head bang:
Any one know of a substitute to use? Would a bearing shop have them? Springs are such an improvement in front decided to try rear's in shocks,

If they are the same basic set-up as the '81, here's a pic....perhaps you can call out which part flew away?

There's a small diameter in thickness, wire circlip, that is inside of outer cover in picture. Flew out & bounced who knows where? Had over head door open & shot into milk crate in drive as not to get ATF on floor, well circlip bounced out,other parts stayed in crate or in sight. Good thing is only lost one, but both flew out,but will have something to compare. Hope machine shop supply store has acceptable substitutes,if not bearing shop is next stop, circlip for dampers are slightly bent but will work if i straighten them, will replace if i can.Thanks for picture AApple,it was most helpful, still learning computer basics, & dont know how to post pic's yet. :thanks:

So you need this clip...

image.php

Ya know....when ya stop looking for it, it will magically appear....at least that's how it always werks for me...
I lost a similar clip(round circlip) from an old Chrysler torsion bar suspension one time....looked all over the shop for it, and had everyone else looking. Next morning, one of the guys came over and asked if I was still looking for it. I says "Yup", and he picks his foot up off the floor, and shows me the bottom of his shoe....there was my clip...stuck on the bottom of his shoe..... :rant: :Doh2:
:smilie_happy:

I'm a firm believer that there's a force in this universe that made the piece you can't find disappear when your looking for it then reappear as soon as you stop looking, and as soon as your wife starts looking she picks it right up.

Yea guys i know one day it will probably turn up when no longer needed, wife has looked as well,& yes that's the missing ring AApple. Talked to every body i know & no luck,bearing place says they can order,but box's have 100,or more,WAY too many didn't even go to see.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=129387#p129387:3b770znv said:
dan filipi » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:53 am[/url]":3b770znv]
I'm a firm believer that there's a force in this universe that made the piece you can't find disappear when your looking for it then reappear as soon as you stop looking, and as soon as your wife starts looking she picks it right up.
:yes: :head bang:

Agreed, old HOLE IN THE WALL hardware & other such places of business, often produce great results. So far no luck :head bang:

Success!! A suitable substitute has been found,& installed. With luck one might find almost anything on the computer, amazing thing to an old guy that thought a transistor radio was HIGH TECH when young.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=130798#p130798:3dzke5ph said:
Denver » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:07 am[/url]":3dzke5ph]
Success!! A suitable substitute has been found,& installed. With luck one might find almost anything on the computer, amazing thing to an old guy that thought a transistor radio was HIGH TECH when young.

It was high tech when your first radio was a crystal one :smilie_happy:

Dadgummit...I amember when THIS was "hi-tech".... :roll:

Blowing_smoke.gif

:smilie_happy: