'85 Aspy dies after about 10min. Pulse Generator?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1TallTXn

Reaction score
'85 Aspencade. Runs like a top. For about 10min, then she shuts off like I turned off the key. Will not restart. No fire.

If I let her sit for a bit (5-20min depending on air temp) she'll fire back up and purr like a kitten for another nearly-10min interval, then she repeats herself.

Seems to me like it's something in the Pulse generator circuit. The PG itself is around $150 online.
Anyone have any other thoughts on what it could be?

Thanks in advance for the shared wisdom.

well on 1200s you have the pulse generators pic ups on the 85 model under the timing belt covers next to crankshaft... them it goes from there to the black box under the shelter ..witch is not available anymore except used on ebay ..then to coils and then to plugs ....i dont know much about it myself ..i am working on one where all this works fine ...but plans are to bypass this whole system ... dosnt seem to me the pluse generators would out under the timing cover would heat up ....but the black box under shelter is known to get very hot when not working right ... thats what i would do ... start it up and see if the black box is getting hot ... i would say this is the problem

I'd traced the wires up to that black box and checked their connection. I checked the resistance cold and when it died, but I don't recall what the results were.

I'll check it closer. Thanks!

The 1200 pulsers seem to have a reputation to fail when hot - they are attached directly to the cylinder block, and there's no ventilation under the timing covers. I've heard that the 1500 pulsers are much better, and will work with minor modification. Less expensive, and still available, I believe.

All of this is just hearsay, so no promises...

If there are 2 pickups, how common is it for both of them to fail at the same time?
When it does, are all 4 sparks weak and occasional?
If so then I'd be looking elsewhere besides the pickups.

I was under the impression there was only one pulse generator. Now, it may have dual-pickups in it.

No fire on any cylinder when she dies.

My buddy bought an 86 that was doing the same thing, We got new pulse coils(generators) from Cheap Cycle Parts for less than $100. and they cured the problem. We also changed the timing belts at the same time as we were already there with the covers off.

I'd somehow missed finding Cheap Cycle Parts in my past searches.
They're listing a Toyo Pulse Gen for $80.93 right now. Part number: 30300-ML8-680

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=137492#p137492:2b5g8bzg said:
dan filipi » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:17 pm[/url]":2b5g8bzg]
If there are 2 pickups, how common is it for both of them to fail at the same time?
When it does, are all 4 sparks weak and occasional?
If so then I'd be looking elsewhere besides the pickups.
I don't know about the carbureted engine, but on the fuel injected 1200, if one pulser fails, the system shuts down to prevent engine damage - according to the manual...

Bought a new set a year or two ago, about $100.00, 85-87 are same part#. MAY still be available???

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=137518#p137518:2d5ut5w1 said:
slabghost » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:15 pm[/url]":2d5ut5w1]
While you are looking check the coils for cracks. They can fail with heat too.
Coils were replaced <1000mi ago. Not new, but good used.
One of mine puked its guts outs.

I haven't had time to really trace it beyond the CDI box under the faux tank. Hopefully the holidays will yield a little spare time.

I was speaking about pick up coils, or pulse generators, 85-87 are in front. 84's in back, have been gone forever.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=137575#p137575:ww0hk5vz said:
Denver » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:38 pm[/url]":ww0hk5vz]
I was speaking about pick up coils, or pulse generators, 85-87 are in front. 84's in back, have been gone forever.
Ah, those I haven't replaced, and is what I'm suspecting.

Just had to replace the ECU on a (much) newer bike, so the budget won't allow another $250+ expenditure right now. Maybe Santa will be nice to me

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=137687#p137687:11lifkno said:
Ansimp » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:39 am[/url]":11lifkno]
Was that the ECU on the VFR Nathan? :doh:
Yup.
It's way low on power for inexplicable reasons. Sure hope the ECU fixes it, I love that bike! :moped:

I would be interested to hear the outcome. Normally fuel is the low power issue ( weak fuel pump, dirty injectors or worn injectors etc). I hope this is a rare case of faulty ECU for you. :yes:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=137726#p137726:2dc03qca said:
Ansimp » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:24 pm[/url]":2dc03qca]
I would be interested to hear the outcome. Normally fuel is the low power issue ( weak fuel pump, dirty injectors or worn injectors etc). I hope this is a rare case of faulty ECU for you. :yes:
Fuel is the next stop. Primary reason for going with the ECU was scoring an ECU for about $75 less than what they normally go for. :clapping:

Latest posts