my "little tinker's clutch tool set"

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deanbw

Reaction score
Still working on the bike, getting to the point it may start going back together in the next few days. I am close to putting engine back in but first had a few things to do, one of which was the clutch.
I had a clutch socket but it was too small so I machined one from an old 1/2inch drive socket I had (I like to keep old sockets and wrenches around for making "special" tools). Got the clutch off then found I needed a metal doughnut to get snap ring off basket. I made one from a scrap piece of brass I had in the shop at home. Next was finding I either take my basket off or I get another one to use to assemble clutch. So I found one online a guy had that included the whole assy. he said the plates were frozen to basket, he could not get them apart ( he didn't know about the snap ring), so he wanted 25 bucks for basket, lifter plate, pressure plate, bearing....everything, good deal I thought, spare parts.
Once I had used all my cobbled goodies I put clutch back on engine and thought, how do I hold basket so I can tighten nut to 42lbs.?
I didn't want to do the stick a screwdriver in it thing, I didn't want to use the timing pulley nut or stator nut so I made a wrench to hold the basket from a piece of flat bar and 4 pieces of 1/4inch dia. rod, I held them in place on the spare basket and welded them to the flatbar. Then I ground the outside of the rod until it fit between the basket and the rear cover, it was not pretty but it works perfect.
So now i have a little tool set just for clutch work, I will throw it on the shelf for the next wing I buy.
clutch.jpg

clutch1.jpg

clutch2.jpg

clutch4.jpg

I love watching a fellow machinist get er done. It is really nice having some machine tools to work on these old bikes. Im currently making a video on how to repair the plastic buttons on the top of the carbs on a Gl 1000. Im machining them for my dads '78. Video should be done and up by the weekend I think.

Great job!

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=147673#p147673:1bdo1fes said:
bronko37 » Today, 6:15 am[/url]":1bdo1fes]
I love watching a fellow machinist get er done. It is really nice having some machine tools to work on these old bikes. Im currently making a video on how to repair the plastic buttons on the top of the carbs on a Gl 1000. Im machining them for my dads '78. Video should be done and up by the weekend I think.

Great job!
thanks to all, yes I would rather make what I need than spend good money on some stamped piece of crap tool that almost works.
I had a machine shop for about 10 years making water jet food processing equipment, we took walk ins as well because I know how hard it is to find a shop that will even look at little jobs anymore. I was in the machine/fab trade for 40 years total, starting while still too young to legally be working in one.
When I decided to sell the shop and change trades ( I now am ops manager for 3 live theatres in seattle, one with a moving floor that keeps me busy), I kept enough machine and shop tools for myself and put them back in the shop at home where it started in the first place. I put my house up for sale once and after two weeks took it off the market because I didn't want to look for another place with enough buildings for all my junk. I could not handle not having a place to build what I want....been too spoiled over the years.

Nice clutch tool kit.
Nothing better than having the right tools and somewhere to use them :good: