Need help diagnosing this noise (belt tensioner noise)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omega Man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
[video]https://youtu.be/afvrXLvaCto[/video]

This video will complete uploading in a while so please check back. FASTFORWARD TO 4:25

I didn't smell rubber this time but I don't think that means a damn thing I just didn't mention it on the video. I really need your help guys, so please I welcome all thoughts. :beg: Like I mentioned I'm wondering if it's a belt tensioner, surely one of our regular members that sees this will be able to confirm this or not. It sounds like something I'll have to put her in the shop for and I want some kind of idea what it might be before taking her in.

~O~

Pffft, the sound is very out of sync...

Its a belt tensioner, for sure. The belt tensioner is basically a bearing and so the sounds can be intermittent. If the bearing binds up that would also explain the rubber smell.

I would plan on getting a new set of rollers and belts pronto. I would be reluctant to drive it anywhere but to the shop, and i would trailer it there if i could. You dont want to run the risk of burning and breaking that belt.

Changing it all out is really a pretty simple job if you can get into a garage or have it apart in your carport. Just need to pull the radiator and get the parts.

Hope it all works out for u and you get her sorted. The bearings themselves can be a little pricey so if you could source the parts and do the work yourself you could save a bundle. It really is a pretty easy job.

good luck bruva!

Janet is getting more understanding :yahoo: I get to order my parts tomorrow, she understands it has to then go into the shop and that I still need new tires(E3's) after that. I'm a lucky dog. :yes: Then again I did remind her we just spent $1,200 on her car :whistling:

~O~

I would say definitely not an engine bearing.
I replaced the van alternator just yesterday because the bearings went bad. Sounded just like that, came and went just like that too.

I know you replaced the alternator recently so I'd go with bad timing belt idler also, especially since you got a whiff of rubber.

Tomorrow I'll take the side panel off and check the alt for noise because there is rubber dampers in there, but I think you and Bronko are right, it's the tensioner. Thanks for the imput!

~O~

..I would say belt pulley bearings also......that's not to hard to replace after you pull all the skin off the front. You want have to pull your radiator to just replace those pulleys. You will have to pull that dang big hose out from the bottom and clear the timing belt covers and unhook a wire to a sensor. I'm working on a 93 Aspencade right now.
Good Luck Omega.