Help!!!! 1984 gl1200 Engine won't make full rotation

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the rust isn't above the surface of the cylinder wall and the surface is smooth then stop, is my opinion.
If you see pitting into the wall, that is not good but a very small bit of pits may be okay. Run a fingernail over it to see if pits can be felt.

OK vinegar worked when I left a wet paper towel sitting on the scale for a while but now what do I use to safely clean the gasket material.

scraper with single edge razor blade carefully. Or try one of the gasket remover products from a parts store.

Okay the right side it is not very messy except for a a little rust and number 3 it should clean up pretty easily I am having trouble with silver tubes any trouble getting them out?

always ....lol i always try ti find that slip in tight in hole then wrap something around outside an used good something to twist them out if i have too ....i lke tring to clean then first satisfactory ...if i cant i remove them

OK the moment of truth approaches. I am scared what if it still doesn't turn? Where do I go :head bang: next? Should I just buy a pair of boots and look into a horse? I need a stiff drink ready. :head bang:

I would check with your local auto supply and see if they rent cylinder hones. Run the piston down to the bottom of it's stroke and hone the cylinder until it is clean. As for the heads, well if you can afford it take them to a automotive machine shop. They can hot tank the heads, and repair or replace you valves. The thing is you don't want to put all this work into it and not have it right when your done. I know that is some additional expense but I believe it would be well worth in in your case.

I would like to mention to everyone that has been working with me that the motor looks clean the rocker arms and stuff look brand new and there were markings on things. I think somebody was redoing bike then quit and never finished. Only the cylinder idea of the head was even dirty. They didn't know what they were doing since my first discovery was the throttle was backwards it was idle at full throttle....Lol

I am cleaning out cylindes number 3 is the only problem child. It has a bunch of yuck stuck in a small patch at the bottom. It is coming off real hard. It is not perfectly smooth but I was wondering will the piston clean it off? Or do I have to fight with it and rent a hone for one cylinder?

Attachments

• 0724162035.jpg
    0724162035.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 132
It is the strangest stuff I have ever seen hard as a rock. From the looks of this engine somebody was rebuilding it and never finished I see marks in other cylinders that look like a hone was run in and out but never started. It wasn't in running order when I took it apart it had the carb tubes loose.

I recently purchased a Corvair engine that had been "recently rebuilt, less than a year ago". Unfortunately, it sat outside, uncovered for most of that year. This is what I found when I pulled one of the heads...

It's cleaning up nicely, soaking in Evapo-Rust. The individual cylinders can be removed, so cleaning them is much easier. I hope yours clean up well. They look good so far...

OK I am looking wildly for head gaskets. I found some from KR for 22 a piece plus about 7 shipping. Anybody know where I can get them fast and cheap and I also need the gasket for the the center tube. I need to also figure out why the clutch will not depress it seems stuck or something.

Latest posts