Which forks to choose

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerryb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an '83 std with forks that are slightly damaged. Someone use a pipe wrench on then and the damage is in the seal area.
I smoothed them out with a stome and emory cloth so they hold most of the oil in.
Now I have a nicer set to put in but the lowers are different. The shape of the top of the aluminum casting is different and I'm not sure which would be the better set to use. Any suggestions would be welcome. Of course I would put new seals in the pair that is chosen.

p.s. they are both TRAC forks one with linked brakes, one with unlinked brakes

Attachments

• 83std forks.jpg
    83std forks.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 146
  • 83i forks.jpg
    83i forks.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 145
83's had the factory fork brace, like the 1200's, & entire 1200 front end will plug, & play, on your frame. :popcorn: 83 forks are 39mm, verses 41mm on the 1200's, if memory serves. :headscratch:

Both being trac it's very likely the tubes will interchange. I'd probably use the lowers that have been on it just to minimize need to change anything else like rotors or calipers.

Thanks. The brakes appear to be the same on both forks, maybe the pair with the odd casting is an early '83 before someone decided they could do the same job with less metal. I'll find out more specifics when I pull 'em apart to do the switch.

Latest posts