Restore Wars The final battle.... charging system test?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightcorona

Reaction score
I have 1984 Goldwing 1200 that has sat for awhile and I have heard all kinds of horror stories about charging system and stator. Is there anyway to check it without the bike running to see if there are problems?

The simplest way is to just measure system voltage (across the battery or anywhere you have access to 12V) while the motor is running. At idle, it'll be low'ish (12 - 13 volts). But once you run the revs up to 2000+ you should see at least 13.5V. More is better as long as it doesn't go over 14.5 or so. If you see no change as the revs increase, you have problems.

If voltage shows that you're charging (throwing more voltage into the battery than 13), great. But still, open the left side cover over the battery. Closely inspect yellow wires and the connectors they pass through on the way to the regulator/rectifier. You're looking for signs of high current (heat) and melting or degradation. Removing those high resistance connectors and soldering the wires directly is highly recommended even if things are working well to reduce risk of future issues there. That's a common source of adding to the stator load and contributes to early failure.

I don't know what you mean by restore rectifier but the only way to know for certain if the stator is useable is to run the engine.
If there is no shorting of the windings to ground, there is a pretty good chance it is useable.

I am sorry I didn't notice the stupid spell check went nuts I meant test the rectifier. I have more then one that came with the bike that doesn't give me warm fuzzy.

Thank you for all the help. I checked the three wires and there is none in one and the other 2 show restance but not a hard connection is this a disaster??? If it is does this mean its change stator or conversion ? Can you change stator with engine in bike?

Stator cannot be changed unless the engine is on the bench (or floor). Unless you already have to pull the engine, I wouldn't worry about the stator until you get it running. Frankly, with an Aspencade or Interstate, I'd seriously consider an external alternator conversion anyway. Tucks in nicely under the fairing. I did one on my old '84 Aspy and found it to be the most satisfying upgrade I ever did. After doing it, I never gave the dreaded stator failure another thought. Real peace of mind.

Seriously though, I'd worry first about getting a runner, then tidy things up. You may have bigger fish to fry.

I was wondering can I throw one together on the cheap? They are pretty pricey online. Oh speaking of bigger stuff. The clutch won't depress freely is that a slave thing or something else?

i agree with desertrefugee,,,,but if like now the heads are off motor it rather easy to take motor rest6 of wy out so rear cover can come off and stator and clutch can be look at

Clutches do bind up after sitting a long time. Probably best if you remove all the disks and check them over. That will give you the chance to look over the clutch slave cylinder too. Motor does not need pulled unless the clutch basket needs removed.

I am looking at making my own mod kit. I can make for brackets and get the hardware. The pulley source is a question mark? I will was wondering if there is a procedure for testing the 8 wire regulator. The other one has less wires and I did try that but I am not sure.

You won't use the stock regulator/rectifier on an alternator mod, it's built into the alternator. Most use the GM mini denso alternator running approx a 4 in pulley off the crank and a 2 in pulley off the alternator. There are several mod threads under an Alternator thread forum on this site which should be very helpful to you. viewforum.php?f=10

OK thanks it turns out my stator is still fine so I will be using the regular system to start with. If you disable the old system is it just disconnect the stator and let it sit there?

Latest posts