Rear axle removal 80 gl1100

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

80-winger

Reaction score
I'm trying to change rge rear tire on my 80 gl1100 but I can't get the axle out. I've removed the castle nut, removed the pinch bolt, and have the bike on the center stand with some blocks under the wheel for access to the axle. When I hammered on the axle it went in about 1/4" it will not go farther. Any suggestions, or something I've missed?

Thanks,

Bill

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Put a rod or screwdriver through the hole in the left end of the axle and rotate it as you pull it out. It might be binding up on the brake caliper mount or spacer.

first of.all did you remove the pinch bolt on the axle head side? .. oops had to re-read the post.. Also I found out the swing arm would not drop low enough to clear the mufflers.. I undid the shocks from the swing arm.. and with the bike supports.. jacked up the tire with blocks off wood and floor jack to clear mufflers above where they are... you need to be able to freely move the swing arm up with out moving the whole bike.. Also use a can of pb blaster or other good spray lube.. and spray behind the rotor area on the axle.. and on the axle at the drive side... after spraying.. tap the rotor side of the axle back in.. then spray the differential/drive unit side again.. use a drive bar.. smaller then the axle and hammer that.. as it moves spray the sides and drive back in a couple of times.. then just drive it out... the lube will help break the micro corrosion loose.. after the axle is out.. use 400 wet dry sand paper and polish the axle... use the paper wet..

I wont get to try again until Sunday. Thanks guys. I tried putting a screwdriver in the axle and turning it but it wouldn't budge. However, while reading the above suggestions, it occurred to me that I only tried it after pounding on the axle. Maybe if I tap it back to its original location and try again. I'll keep you all posted, and if anyone thinks of something else let me know.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I have had my axle out many times. After everything is unbolted, I have a heavy punch with a very blunt point that fits perfectly in the center hole of the axle on the right side. I line up the punch and use an 8 lb maul to knock the axle out. It takes quite a bit to get it started. 1/3 of the way out, it will hit the muffler. I give the axle a good whack and it always slips through. Going back in is even more fun! :whip: