ATF in the fuel warning

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andyb

Reaction score
If you are unlucky and pour some ATF in the tank before you fill up, you may manage to get a big glop of it in the intake. This may or may not cause your bike to run like crap as it tries to fire on a heavy mix of ATF. This may or may not cause you to cuss loudly and think your bike is done for. I suggest letting your bike idle while you rock it back and forth to try to distribute the ATF throughout the fuel.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=132083#p132083:1o4fjktu said:
dan filipi » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:30 pm[/url]":1o4fjktu]
I put it in before filling, this way the fresh gas going in mixes it up :headscratch:
That is how I did it Dan. I guess some of it must have gotten directly into the intake somehow. I started it up, ran the one mile between our interstate interchanges and it started to act up on the exit ramp. I limped the next mile to my office. I performed the idle and shake operation in the parking lot and now all is well.

How low was the tank on fuel when you did this? If it was on reserve, I can see that happening, since the ATF would go the bottom of the tank. Even fueling after that would not mix it up very well, since the fuel inlet is not a straight shot to the bottom of the tank. But...how the heck would it get into the INTAKE? Are you saying the plenum under the air filter had ATF? :headscratch:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=132088#p132088:3qm68od4 said:
AApple » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:14 pm[/url]":3qm68od4]
How low was the tank on fuel when you did this? If it was on reserve, I can see that happening, since the ATF would go the bottom of the tank. Even fueling after that would not mix it up very well, since the fuel inlet is not a straight shot to the bottom of the tank. But...how the heck would it get into the INTAKE? Are you saying the plenum under the air filter had ATF? :headscratch:
Sorry for the confusion. I meant the fuel intake line in the gas tank. And, it was indeed on reserve. It took about 4.4 gallons.

Anyway, that was all yesterday and she is running fine this morning.

I would never do something like that!! NEVER!! (Except maybe the one time I did EXACTLY the same thing at the gas station with EXACTLY the same results!) :oops: :oops: :swoon: :hihihi:

I think the reserve setting is more the key here. When I first put ATF in my fuel here in Oz I used to fill the tank first then ride home and add the ATF later without any problems. Admittingly I do have the dreaded driveway to help mix my ATF blend :smilie_happy:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=132141#p132141:qcg596iz said:
slabghost » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:20 am[/url]":qcg596iz]
I never had that problem but I guess I never filled up on reserve.
That really was the issue when I did it. I always run the tank down to reserve and then at least another 10 miles. It was at that point below the 10 mile mark that I added the ATF at home to ride to the gas station around the corner. Lucky for me, it didn't completely stall out until I pulled into the station. Boy I felt stupid! :hihihi:

Restarting took a bit since there was so much ATF in the carbs.

Even if I get to reserve I'm in the habit of switching to run before fillup so I don't forget and run out of fuel.

sheesh i am in the habit of not having a habit to count on at all ...sheeeesh the people with memory lllhabits are hard to come by without one LOL

ok i see dans point below my post ...further stated ..i am committed to using atf ...with that said im lucky to fpollow through 25% of the time ... if runs bad cause i did something like andy did i still feel like its a victory cause i got the atf in there ... :smilie_happy: :mrgreen:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=132153#p132153:2aggn4su said:
joedrum » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:24 am[/url]":2aggn4su]
sheesh i am in the habit of not having a habit to count on at all ...sheeeesh the people with memory lllhabits are hard to come by without one LOL
:headscratch:

I am committed too, Joe. I don't blame the ATF for my problems (in fact she has been fine since that morning). I blame the idiot holding the ATF.

This is interesting. I just bought a 82 wing and was wondering if there was something I could add to the fuel to clean up the carbs, or at lest keep them clean after I had them cleaned manually. ATF oil as well as two stroke oil and Lucus fuel injection gas treatment had all crossed my mind. Has ATF been proven to work the best or has anyone found anything else that works better.

How much do you need to put in, is there a fuel to oil ratio that is standard.

atf works good ...no i dont think anyone compare all stuff that could be used ...axcept the price ...atf wins big here ....and its performance even boost the gas btu up ....about 6-8 ozs. per tank....at first might have to go lighter it will smoke some maybe will it cleans things up ....

I have used 2 stroke oil, techron, Sea Foam and probably a few others. I can't say that one works better than the other because I don't keep stats but the ATF is definitely the cheapest option. All the sites I saw recommending 2 stroke oil suggested using the stuff rated for marine use. That is why it was expensive.

Atf certainly seems to be the safest.
When I first got my bike I tried a variety of other cleaners. One of them turned the air cutoff valves into goo. Unfortunately I don't know which one.

Latest posts