Filter change at every oil change?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EVERY Change. Cheap insurance. Since I did the automotive spin on/off conversion it only takes another two minutes and my oil has a clean filter to run through... no deposits, no carbon, no acids, etc. introduced into new fresh oil from remaining oil and deposits left in a dirty filter...

i change mine every other oil change, the reason, i run all freeway miles and i change oil every 3 weeks(2800 miles) the oil is just barley starting to change color and i have never found any thing in my filter. i cut my filter apart and inspect it every time i change it(filter). i do the same on every thing i own.

i change oil and filter, to me it is cheap,cheap insurance as said before, and also you never know when one will collapse inside....due to some malfunctions at the plant on Friday when everyone has the weekend on their mind and didn't catch that faulty machine their running... :lazy: ..

I do mine every other but do look through the old oil for contaminants then decide, If I`m doing every 3-4K it is usually clean but thinking every 5K with a new filter every time.
Usually so clean at 3K I run it through a sock and back into a container then use it to top up the diesel motor with..Maybe other would cringe at the thought but it is just a quart it loses between oil changes.

I notice this time around the oil pressure went up.
Well this time I have a pressure gauge hooked up so I could see it.
True it has fresh oil also but I notice the same thing after changing both oil and filter on my 2 v8's.

Come to think of it I have always changed filter with every oil change so I don't have any comparison of oil pressure not changing the filter.
Has anyone else noticed higher oil pressure after changing the filter?

I usually change the filter every time also. I think we change the oil a lot quicker than it needs to be. Like was said it's cheap insurance.... I bought a 5 litre of oil this afternoon for 29.99, just wondering how cheap it is now.... I could of got some cheaper oil but I always used Castrol oil, just my personal preference, ok and my dads.... he used it in his farm tractors and cars and everything, there was no other brand in the garage. So is it just me or does anybody else do that?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=133833#p133833:2daqlybw said:
Steve83 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:40 am[/url]":2daqlybw]
Maybe it's just habit, but I've always changed the filter and oil together. I like everything clean, especially inside the engine.
+1 :good:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=133833#p133833:1ksn841e said:
Steve83 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:40 pm[/url]":1ksn841e]
Maybe it's just habit, but I've always changed the filter and oil together. I like everything clean, especially inside the engine.
Me too but why would many manufacturers recommend changing filter like every other oil change? I find this odd. What is their reasoning behind it?

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=133838#p133838:3tri00vp said:
dan filipi » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:09 pm[/url]":3tri00vp]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=133833#p133833:3tri00vp said:
Steve83 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:40 pm[/url]":3tri00vp]
Me too but why would many manufacturers recommend changing filter like every other oil change? I find this odd. What is their reasoning behind it?
I would guess there is 5X maybe 10X the filter area required by a normal good running engine, even in the micro realm after 3-4K it is anywhere near clogged, but if something lets loose it has the capacity to prevent further engine damage.
Just a guess.

On my '83, which is basically a brand new engine, I know what the inside looks like. On an old engine, not knowing what could be lurking in the pickup screen or a hidden nook or cranny in the case, I like the peace of mind a clean filter gives me. A used filter also will restrict oil flow. Like Dan asked, has anyone checked their oil pressure before and after a filter change?

For $2 or $3, and 5-10 minutes more, I'll keep changing the filter.

I do 5000 mile oil changes on the wings and the filter gets changed
if a filter does get plugged and the oil goes through the bypass there is nothing on the dash telling you the filter is plugged

Always change the filter with the oil. It may look like it is just "wet" with oil, but there are other contaminants in there that are not quite easy to see with the naked eye, but surely could be working on your engine just like polishing compound works on your paint!

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=133923#p133923:39cppi5r said:
mcgovern61 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:37 pm[/url]":39cppi5r]
Always change the filter with the oil. It may look like it is just "wet" with oil, but there are other contaminants in there that are not quite easy to see with the naked eye, but surely could be working on your engine just like polishing compound works on your paint!
So these filters really don't catch this stuff, it sort of just goes right back where it started? I'm not trying to be smart, a lot of these posts make it sound like they do nothing but slow it down for a while and are actually sending everything back into the motor. :headscratch: