Third Midwest Meet 8/29/2014 9/1/2014

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't say enough about Tom and his wife Donna and the way they pre paired for the meet. they gave it 200 precent effort. And Tom's MAN HOUSE was out of this world 4 TV's and a great sound system,pool table all decorated in the best taste for a MAN HOUSE.The food was out of this world too. Way to much for the THREE of us. But Tom gave me the secret recipe for the braut's best I've ever had . Had way to many to count. I've never felt so welcome. Steak's the same way Tom is a real chef!!!! And the beer flowed freely!!!! Never a want for any thing. Tom made us feel like we have know each other for years. Well the ride to Joe's about 160 miles or so was nice. Made it up the driveway ok (thick gavel) but while making u turn out past the cabin bike went over with the trailer still on it. Had to pry it off. Then it was 123 lift we had to raise bike up hill to et it on it's feet again. No damage just my pride. Then while sitting on cabin porch minding are own business bike falls again. no damage. Joe and I went for a ride. couldn't keep up with hooch no way no how. Took the 82 up to about 7500 rpm Joe is still pulling away quickly we must have had the speed o meter off the chart. Joe's mom was there and was leaving for Orlando Fl. that AM so after they left I was ready to head out. Wrong Joe starts changing his oil and antifreeze on hooch!!! Driving directions were hard to follow but we made it. Nice ride 145 miles from French lick. Both bike's ran great on the trip and we got 36.25 mpg on trip over. Then the party started and just didn't stop. We heard Wes was on way from OH was glad when he arrived. Wes had his trailer for his BIG trip and it is real nice a lot bigger than mine. Jerry

well i decided that single carbs can be be made to work while drunk ...hmmmmm try that on stock rack.....as jerry said tom and family put on a great event ..... had my hosting skills beat 100 times over ... i have seen no better sat up in a sub division man cave in my life ever ... tom is a very energetic guy whose energy seems to flow in fruitful ways for the ones around him ... a really good guy in a good place for one ....i was very comfortable at toms and his set up....im getting booted off computer and will post more about the tom meet and greet ... this was all pure fun and no bs on the table ...

Great to hear that you guys all had such a great time even better than Tom's pre planning suggested. Such a shame that more of us couldn't be there to share such a great GW weekend. :(

Well done Tom and family!!! :salute: :clapping: :yahoo:

well,im so glad,to here,all the nice things..only got a handful,of friends..and just made.3-more..i,ll be coming that way,joe,...this fall before winter,so I can get a trial run on my 82-single carb project.jerry ,ill be trying to make it that way,also..same with wes..the bike is 95%..correct.a oil change.and some miles,are next..i got 58 miles on her and 3/4 of a tank left.i,m in the 6 to 7 grand area..so the next tank,ill go for mileage..this tank is for-fun.........tom :moped: :good: :music:

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 200
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 194
well,i can count my friends,on two hands..i just made 3-more.. :salute: :music: I,never would of thought,of cutting the 4 into 1 carb manifold to custom fit-it..thanks joe,jerry..and wes..so :sensored: happy to be back on road,again..never enough hours.in the day..i,m working day,and nite..most of the summer season..thanks ,for the idea,and the help..i,m 95% done with the single carb..i need to change oil,and plugs ..then ill see how I,m burning.and gas mileage,on her..wifes small hands hooked up throttle.yesterday,and I,ve put 50 miles on her..going for a ride rite,know....whenever,you want another-rally.please..let me know...tom... :music:

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 196
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 193
Next time I am up north ( hemisphere) I will try and organise it so that I can be there to take you up on that offer Tom and hopefully meet up with the rest of the Midwest crew. :good: :thanks:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=130019#p130019:2l93i95h said:
Ansimp » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:31 pm[/url]":2l93i95h]
Next time I am up north ( hemisphere) I will try and organise it so that I can be there to take you up on that offer Tom and hopefully meet up with the rest of the Midwest crew. :good: :thanks:
You better figure out a way to stop here in Vegas again Tony...WORD.

~O~

I had been working on my camper trailer for my ride to Alaska. I was not planning on attending but I kept thinking I had such a good time at Joe's last year- I should go. Well Monday I put my ass in gear and got 1/2 of the trailer done so I could go.
I put enough paint on to keep all the plywood dry in case of rain. Did not put the weather stripping on- why it was not going to rain.
Finished up on the trailer Thursday night and started to just throw stuff I might need in it.

I left Friday morn at 8:30 with a trailer I had no idea how it would pull. Headed west on a state route to stop at Sierra electronics- My cb receives but can not talk. and my radio would only stay on for a minute and go blank for a second. Got to Sierra at 11:30 and Jeff looked at my system. Radio is shot-and I just sold my extra 2 weeks ago. He said he could fix it just send it to him.
The cb well it needs work to-again. So both pieces have to come out of the fairing once again for the umpteenth time.
Headed west by way of I-75 south to I-70. Hot 89-93. By this time I was riding, and did not even know the trailer was behind me. Got half way through Ind and the famous red cones appeared. 3 miles of my feet being on the ground literally. About 2 1/2 hours. Then my gps had me get off the freeway and run a state route parallel to the I-70. The sky turned really dark. So I turned into a complex and decided to put on my rain gear. While doing that I thought I had better finish my trailer and put some weather stripping around it. Then the rain hit really hard and what a lighting show all around me. Got all bundled up and rode for 20 minutes when the sun came back out and got really hot.95. So I got off and took the rain gear off. Then all that rain started to turn to heavy fog at 4 pm in the afternoon for about 5-8 miles. Rain gear off and going along when I realized I did not lock my right saddle bag lid 9Right next to a semi with a car behind me. Pulled off and locked it back on(Thank goodness for Rudy's lid keepers. I only have one done and not both.
Hit construction again. one lane again. that was another 2 hours to go a few miles.
Finally got to Ill and no more slow downs. I had my sun goggles on and it was getting to dusk and another 60 miles to get to Tom's. I really did not want to get off to change goggles.
My GPS got me to all three address that Tom gave and not knowing which one to go to I just sat in the middle of the street and honked the horn. I heard Tom yell at me from behind so I went to the next intersection to try to turn around. Oh yea I have a trailer behind me. Well I thought I was going through a drive but it was a front yard and then a 2 1/2 foot ditch-gunned it and the bike and trailer made it all ok. What a rush after being on the bike for 10+ hours, tired, butt sore, and sun goggles on.
Tom showed me where to park and got off and then I got to meet a really nice gentleman in person.
Tom had a cold one just for me.
Tom had called my wife to see if I was really coming or not around 8pm and I arrived at 8:20. So about 12 hours to get there minus the time at Sierra's.

I called my wife to tell her I was there safely- AND then the party began for me.

Was real glad to see Jerry and Joe in person once again.
Tom and Donna went out of their way to make sure we had anything we needed or wanted.

They live in a very quiet neighborhood.( OH YEA_they have train track all around their house so they have train horns at any time) Joe and I took a walk in the morn and commented that not one barking dog anywhere.

I had plans on Leaving Sunday morn around 8am as I did not want to get home at midnight. Left Sunday around 8:30 and took I64 to I 71. I was the ONLY one on the road for about 2 hours. Really earie feeling on an interstate.
No construction, no traffic, ran into a few sprinkles here and there. Arrived home without incident at 6pm.

I am very glad I made it to the M&G and now have a new friend who I hope to see again. Tom was a very good host.
He even gave us door prizes.
Thanks Tom and Donna for a great relaxing time.

:smilie_happy: :shock: :smilie_happy: just what you trying to say dan :shock: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: .. it was great time .. next yr maybe we can get some music going also :music: :music:

sorry I couldn't make it tom but I'm still wing-less, mike called Friday and said he should be done with the 1500 wing Saturday but I never got the call. I had my buddy's 1500 wing at the house but felt uncomfortable just riding it from his house to mine

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=130027#p130027:296jilg8 said:
dan filipi » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:09 pm[/url]":296jilg8]
Ok Tom, it looks like it's your place again next year!
I will plan on it.
You flying? Hmmmm :headscratch: maybe, just maybe.....

~O~

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=130022#p130022:38aho4c7 said:
Omega Man » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:43 am[/url]":38aho4c7]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=130019#p130019:38aho4c7 said:
Ansimp » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:31 pm[/url]":38aho4c7]
You better figure out a way to stop here in Vegas again Tony...WORD.

~O~

I think that one is pretty much a no brainier Randy as I don't think that we have ever been to the States without a trip to Vegas. We ended spending 6 days ( Ash and Ruth wanted to stay longer) last year as San Diego got the flick from the itinerary. It was too bad that you were caught up at work then :(

I saved the sign.its part of the bar house..changed oil, cleaned bike...love.n. my wing. :clapping: :music:..time for my nite-ride..peace. :good:

Attachments

• 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 172
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 173
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 176
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 175
If I might suggest, I would like to have attended but have yearly, pretty much standing commitments on summer holiday weekends, especially Labor day. Maybe theres others that would have liked to have attended it but are in the same situation as me. Schedule it for a non-holiday weekend if possible. Again, just a suggestion.

ya,i was thinking,more towards kooler weather.the middle of September..would work out.not to hot,not to cold.but if anybody wants to visit..bring that wing,and come visit..grab some friends..and ride..it,don,t have to be a rally.to visit..tom :music: theres,always a project,or two in my bike shop..to work-on. :builder: :moped:

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 153
Well filled up the 82 this am to check mpg 36.67 with trailer fully loaded ran 65 to 70 most of the time. Trailer pulled well no wag don't know it's there until your stopping. Then you know it's there!! Wes did you check mpg on your set up? Jerry