2015 ride to Alaska-Anyone seriously interested

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we are at 8 bikes now.

Wes- Ohio_ 83- gl1100--confirmed
Leroy-Ohio-01- gl1800--confirmed
Jim Mcarty-Thomson Georgia- 99 GW trike--confirmed
CJAA1980-Plus 1 up -Omaha Neb
Peter Das - Portland Texas
tumunga-plus 1 up-Pittsboro Ind
Eric Head-Pitts Pa.
Dave00122-Meadowview Arizona

Let me know when you guys plan on meeting in Minot, I would love to meet some of you. And enjoy the ride, it is beautiful country. Wish I could go, but too much in the air right now and for the next few years too.

RE: 2015 RIDE TO ALASKA
postby witz1952 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:27 pm

I am interested in leaving 1st thru mid July and rtn mid to late August have 4-5 wks to use
2 routes possible
I. heading shortest distance between Ohio and Denali national park approx. 3900miles meet at where route crosses border
2. go to glacier national park then north to ak highway to Denali. approx. 4200 miles and meet with all at glacier

My plans are to get to Alaska and do all my sightseeing there since never been there.
just my ideas nothing in stone
thoughts?
anyone know how bugs are at this time of yr in ak black flies skeeter etc.

THANK YOU LeRoy for your thoughts on this ride.

Sounds like some ideas are starting to come forth.
Would like to see any and all your ideas.

When plans get a little further along they will be posted.
Anyone who would like to ride along with us even for a day you would be welcome.
It would be great to camp a night with us just to get to meet fellow members.

Mosquitoes are heavy in the Muskeg permafrost area all summer. There is also a very small bug that resembles a chigger, called a white sock. They cause real bad swelling. Skin so soft is great for them, and citronela candles are good to have around. In SE Alaska and around anchorage they aren't too bad, but in the interior we used to joke aboput making sacrifies to the skeeter gods.

This was suggested:

Anyone who wants to go on this trip should show up at the meeting placer( to be determined) along the US/ Canadian border on the date that is chosen in 2015..
If you want to motel it, you could do that. The campers can go to the campgrounds. Then we could meet up in the AM.

Possibly we could do this on the way up for a couple of days, because the motels and campgrounds become further apart.

It would be great having 20-30 bikes doing this.

Anyone is strongly encouraged to join up with anyone doing the whole ride to ride along for a day or two. Camp a night with us. Would love to meet some fellow members on this ride.

I will have a spot satelite tracker on my bike so you will have a live feed on our location at any time.

Am new to the site. Been riding since I was a pup on everything. Am interested in a 25 to 30 day romp in Alaska. Recently acquired a 1982 Very Clean Standard to add to my stable. 26,000 original miles, number 3 cyl not getting gas, working on the issue. Am sure would have fixed by 2015.

I can easily ride 400 + per day, everyday, but I don't want to!
It's more likely that some days we'll ride 400 miles and other days, 250 miles. And at least one day soaking in a hot spring.

I was talking to a m/c rider who lived in Alaska for 4 years. He said to go in August as most of the construction could be done. I do not know if I can wait that long as I am ready to go now.

He also said there is a 15 mile area north of /deli that is free camping for as long as you want. ( at least that was true a few years ago.

Jerry is from Seward Ak who is planning on going with us if things work out. What are your thoughts Jerry as to when you would like to leave the lower 48 states?

I too have Coldfoot on my bucket list.

Lance was thinking about riding to Deadhorse (242 miles, one way), but after

a little reading, maybe just to Coldfoot and across the Artic Circle!

Man, heated gloves are expensive and I have to get some for the wife?

We'll be on our 2000 GL1500 SE with trailer.

Pleas give me some of your thoughts on this trip either by pm or on the forum for others to see.

Just a preview of what you will be enjoying on your journey guys, I know this in SE alaska, but its my home town, Haines

Attachments

• Home From Above.jpg
    Home From Above.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 257
Re: 2015 Ride to Alaska

Unread postby jmblitz » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:08 pm

Hi , my wife and I are still planning on taking a motorcycle trip home to Alaska next summer, we would probably head north around the first or second week of July, this is tentative though. Weather wise, it might rain a bit, but definitely won’t snow. Construction wise due to frost heaving they are always working on roads here up north during the warmer months, so construction is always a possibility. You just have to be prepared for some less than ideal riding conditions, either way it isn’t that bad, at least its paved now, huhhuhhuh. Lots of wide open scenery and wildlife. The reason we cannot reach a solid date yet is my wife is a teacher and I am a student but I graduate in early June next summer and hopefully my wife can get away near the end of June, keeping fingers crossed. I will keep you posted

Good Morning. I’ve been following this forum and noticed a few items you may want to think about before you go. We (myself, wife, 6 kids, & a demented cat) drove from Rome, New York to Centralia Illinois and then to Anchorage in the early 80s. The road is now paved, but I suspect the same trip items need to be looked at.
1. Passport: You can enter Canada without a passport, but you CAN’T get back into the US without a major hassle if you don’t have a passport.
2. Mile Post Magazine: There is a milepost every mile on the AlCan (which actually starts at Dawson Creek) and the Mile Post magazine tells you where and what you will encounter on the highway. This lets you plan where to stop for food, fuel, general sight-seeing and overnight stops. Take a look at https://www.milepost.com/highway_info/alaska_highway.
3. Currency exchange: I would use a credit card as much as possible due to the fluctuating exchange rates. Today, the rate is 1 US dollar to 1.12 Canadian dollars. The credit card companies automatically compute the ratio and bill you at the prevailing rates, so you don’t need a big wad of Canadian currency to cover expenses. However, I would carry some Canadian currency to cover costs where credit cards are not accepted.
4. Bug Spray: Yes!! If you aren’t moving faster than a mosquito can fly, you are a target. We used Deep Woods Off and survived. Skin-So-Soft wasn’t available back then, so I don’t how effective it will be. I do know it repels Illinois mosquitoes.
5. Frost heaves: On the way back, we hit a frost heave and bent the axle on the camper. It then chewed up a tire and we waited 3 days to get another tire. If you see the vehicle in front of you suddenly leap into the air, slow down because you’re next!

On the way back, you can turn South onto highway 37 (Cassiar Highway, DC Mile post 626.2) just West of Watson Lake and drop into Washington and Oregon. We took that route back because we were transferred to Southern California after Alaska. Back then, some sections of that road were still gravel; I don’t know the current status.

It will be a wonderful trip on cycles and I thought about joining you, but my wife says (in tones of deep disgust), “I have absolutely no interest in doing that!”

What are the camping fees up North?

The milepost in 2013 says:

Alaska State Parks--Camping fees (subject to change) range from $10.00 to $28.00 per night. Day- use parking fees are $5.00 to $10.00 per vehicle. There are fees for dump station and firewood.

BLM land has 15 campgrounds: fees are charged at some. All undeveloped BLM public lands are open to free camping.

U.S. Forest service charge a fee of $6.00 to $24.00 per night depending on facilities.

Yukon territory charges $12.00 a night.

British Columbia $10.00 to $30.00 per camping party per night.

Northwest Territories $15.00 to $32.00 per night.
Firewood is supplied for free but bring your own axe.

Prices seem reasonable to me.
Kinda thinking now to leave Ohio Monday July 6

Love to have you along Dan.
No definite route plans as of now.
Still thinking to meet everyone at Glacier National Park then head north.
I do want to hit the states of Washington and Oregon on this trip. Not sure if that will happen or not. I have 48 States under my belt now and those would make all 50

Looks like we will leave Ohio about July 5 and head to Glacier National Park. Leave GNP about July 9th or 10th.
Hopefully we can get showers at a campground at GNP. May need to reserve in advance.

If you plan on this trip get your passport in order now.

If you're going to be camping in the US and are 62 or older, check out this URL: https://www.nps.gov/elro/planyourvisit/i ... r-pass.htm

The Senior pass give you half price access to Fish & Wildlife, Forest Service, BLM, National Park Service, Bureau of Reclamation and participating State Park locations. The card does cost $10, but that is a one-time charge and the card is good for your lifetime.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=139363#p139363:2039ybo7 said:
PurpleGL1200I » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:20 am[/url]":2039ybo7]
If you're going to be camping in the US and are 62 or older, check out this URL: https://www.nps.gov/elro/planyourvisit/i ... r-pass.htm

The Senior pass give you half price access to Fish & Wildlife, Forest Service, BLM, National Park Service, Bureau of Reclamation and participating State Park locations. The card does cost $10, but that is a one-time charge and the card is good for your lifetime.
Wow!! Great tip!! :thanks:

I will be posting a bread crumb trail of my trip. You can click on a button to see a map, click on it again and you can see the trees and lakes and all of it. IF and a big IF I can figure out how to make SPOT available to all to see.

So if someone out there knows how to post "The adventure" from spot to a forum. PLEASE chime in.

I just had the fairing off to do some electrical solving-which was not successful-

Things I need to do yet-Tires have to come off for new tread ( I have the tires since Feb), The rear shocks are coming off after I just rebuilt them (link to rebuild viewtopic.php?f=73&t=9715,
I had a spare set of shocks laying around, Put my radio and cb back in the fairing-Which is a real rat's nest in there- I got it repaired at Sierra's last March, and change the oil and filter.

I do have my trailer packed except for clothes and tools. Here is a link to my build of a
4x4 Harbor Freight trailer camper. viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9465
So I have a lot to do yet and my 1 1/2 year of planning is winding down.