NJ to Florida.....put this trailer to the test!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to see it's going better now, Gerry! Have fun, and BE SAFE out there!!! :good: :clapping: :moped:

Been having a blast of a ride!! Slight change in plans today though. The weather for where my other daughter is in Virginia was looking pretty bad with severe thunderstorms predicted starting PM on July 1 through July 3. I don't mind getting caught in an occasional downpour, but I would be foolish to head over for the Blue Ridge mountains with predicted severe thunderstorms on route 81 with all of that truck traffic and no where to pull off. I changed course and decided to head towards home instead and stopped in North Carolina.

The bike is still running like a champ! North and South Carolina were up in the high 90's again and the trailer has about a 200 lb load, but the cooling system is working perfectly with the needle barely going over half. Boy, what a relief!!

The other issue was the gas mileage. For the last three tanks heading down to Florida with the engine running real hot, I was down to 31 MPG. Now, with an even heavier cargo load, I am getting 34 MPG with every tank. Not any where near the 41 to 43 MPG I normally get on highway trips, but better than a lot of others who have pulled trailers with 1100's listing 27 MPG.

1 more day of riding and I should be back in NJ! :moped:

I'm home!! :Egyptian:

What a great trip!! Last stop was in Smithville, NC and I pulled into "Becky's Log Cabin" motel. Couldn't help myself, it was too cool to pass up and the rates were real cheap (as cheap as the campground I stayed at in SC).

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

Clean, large comfortable rooms with great A/C! I even met Becky herself! (Now how cool is that?) Nice lady and great stop! :yes:

Left NC in the am and hit pretty heavy rain in Richmond VA. Gotta love those Frogg Togs and my new to me Frogg Togg boots! 1 hour outside Richmond and I hit traffic. I was stuck in heavy traffic from 2:30 PM through 7:00 PM from outside of Richmond all the way past Baltimore. I was running out of patience at that point! :whip:

Finally, at 7:00 PM traffic let up a bit and I was able to get back up to speed. Interesting note, when I reached VA, the outside temp dropped about 5 degrees cooler and as I got further North, the temps dropped as far down as 72 degrees by the time I reached NJ. I bring this up because, the last 2 tanks of gas saw an increase in gas mileage back up to 38 MPG. Not sure why just yet, but those warmer temps seem to cause the bike to burn more gas at the same trailer load and the same speed (average 75 MPH).

Neat motel, just the kind of place I look for.
Great to hear you're home safely. Traffic is a bear anytime!
Regarding fuel mpg change with air temp change. The hotter the air, the less dense it is, so I assume you don't get as much squish (in the suck, squeeze, blow of combustion) out of the same combustion cycle, colder air would mean more squish (air being denser). Just a thought, kind of like turbo or super charging works.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=152555#p152555:tqaagq7n said:
julimike54 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:56 am[/url]":tqaagq7n]
Neat motel, just the kind of place I look for.
Great to hear you're home safely. Traffic is a bear anytime!
Regarding fuel mpg change with air temp change. The hotter the air, the less dense it is, so I assume you don't get as much squish (in the suck, squeeze, blow of combustion) out of the same combustion cycle, colder air would mean more squish (air being denser). Just a thought, kind of like turbo or super charging works.
+1
Glad that Gerry's Cycle Removals worked so well :good:

Latest posts