2015 ride to Alaska-Anyone seriously interested

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilcoy02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update!
Trip is underway, track progress here!

I am hoping to ride to Alaska from Ohio in 2015. I am looking for others who would be seriously interested in riding to Alaska. I would have no problem with meeting up somewhere like Glacier Park
to head North.

I thought I had found a group who were going but I just found out I was wrong.

I plan on camping due to the high cost of motels. I have no concrete plans at this time. I have found that I want to go in an even number of bikes. Campgrounds usually let 2 tents to a site.

I hope to keep this thread open to anyone who would be seriously interested in making this trip and try to make some preliminary plans.

Sounds like a great adventure but I can't be gone that long and I can't afford it. I am looking forward to your reports and pics though.

From what I have read it is 10 up and 10 days back. So however long the group wants to stay in Alaska. I was thinking of getting up to Alaska and making a base camp maybe Dawson Creek(anywhere the group would choose) and people could then go in what direction they would like for day trips-fishing, helicopter ride to glacier, or whatever one chooses. Stay there 3-or however many days permits. Then all head back south.

I personally am not bound by any time frame but I know most others are. I do not want to go alone into that much wilderness. So the time would be of what a group would choose. At least 23 days and that would be pushing it.

I have a friend who is diabetic, he was in the hospital for a month last year. He realized, and I agreed, life is short. I will have to save and scrimp, but this is a once in a lifetime venture. I hope you all think hard about it, Life is too short for regrets. Don't mean to get philosophical, just was a stark reminder for me. I had a crash in '92, lost a leg, and know I have to take advantage of the time I have here. Thanks for reading my rambling.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=113866#p113866:2qvqrotv said:
PeterDas » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:53 pm[/url]":2qvqrotv]
I have a friend who is diabetic, he was in the hospital for a month last year. He realized, and I agreed, life is short. I will have to save and scrimp, but this is a once in a lifetime venture. I hope you all think hard about it, Life is too short for regrets. Don't mean to get philosophical, just was a stark reminder for me. I had a crash in '92, lost a leg, and know I have to take advantage of the time I have here. Thanks for reading my rambling.
I completely agree.
If you can do it, then do it. The chance is now and today will never come around again!

This would be a simply amazing trip that time of year. Sure wish I could do it.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=113866#p113866:q1eefp1j said:
PeterDas » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:53 pm[/url]":q1eefp1j]

As someone that lives with MS, and I am currently doing really well with it, I am always worried about when the next attack is going to strike that might affect my mobility and take away my riding ability again. It isn't philosophical... it is practical.

Don't wait for your life to happen, live it!

I would like to go sometime after the end of May. Time to me is not of a concern as I am able to go when a group would like to go.

I have thought of a meeting place for all to meet like glacier national park at the northern part of the lower 48 on a certain date with plans on leaving from there for anyone who would like to come from other states. I just do not want to ride the vast wilderness up north by myself.

I know from Ohio it is at least 10 day ride up and 10 day ride back. So how long would depend on the group who may go. I would like to spend at least 3-7 days while in Alaska.

I think from what I have read July is the rainy season up there. Road construction makes for a very slippery ride if it is raining. But then weather is a little odd every where these days so no idea what or when is the best time to go. That is why I would like some input from others who seriously would think of taking this trip.

One thought is to ride up and make a base camp in Alaska somewhere around Dawson creek or where ever and everyone could do their own day trips-fishing, helicopter ride to a glacier, or what ever one wanted to do by themselves or two or however many wanted to do the same thing. Then all ride south together to Washington.

I want to ride through Washington and Oregon states as they are the only two states I have not been in to make a total of all 50.

I already have a spot 2 which is a satellite tracker so everyone back home can see our progress on their computer.
As far as any plans I have none at this time as I said in first post- This is to see what people would want- and do some preliminary planning.

Definitely one for the bucket list. It will take me until I am 60 before I can save up for another northern ride. Also by then the statute of limitations should if expired on my Arizona indiscressions.

I would not be able to get that much time off. But I am in for you all to do a "Travel Stop" here in Washington state. I have tools, garage space, big back yard for tents, maybe a spare room, shower and Wifi. You could drop ship a tire to me to have on hand too, or any other parts. When you get closer, let me know.

And just a warning, Canada will not let you cross if you have had any Drug/alcohol convictions, DUI, any sexual assault convictions, you name it, check before hand if you have ANY questions. And no GUNS allowed, even knifes are questionable!

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=114272#p114272:3eh2ofzr said:
Dave_J » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:44 am[/url]":3eh2ofzr]
I would not be able to get that much time off. But I am in for you all to do a "Travel Stop" here in Washington state. I have tools, garage space, big back yard for tents, maybe a spare room, shower and Wifi. You could drop ship a tire to me to have on hand too, or any other parts. When you get closer, let me know.

And just a warning, Canada will not let you cross if you have had any Drug/alcohol convictions, DUI, any sexual assault convictions, you name it, check before hand if you have ANY questions. And no GUNS allowed, even knifes are questionable!

Nice offer Dave and sound advice :good:

I will have too think and check, figure out if low back would make it, try out other MC's for a good seating position. I have been thinking of something like this for 2 years now!

The only reason I would not be able to do this in 2015 is I am planning retirement in Nov 2015. But if I retire earlier (I can do it now if needed) I would do this trip on my Burgman with the car tire on the rear. I could even tow a small trailer with tools, 12 gal fuel tank and stuff. I get 56 MPG now and with a small loaded trailer it drops down to 38'ish MPG.

This sounds like it would be a great trip.

Dave J nice,

That Burgman 650 should Do very well on that trip.

I love B650, I use mine as my replacement for both of my GL1500 & GL1800 that I had, I like the lighter weight of the B650 and that the weight is sooo low. The FI is also very nice.