PLANS for ALASKA trip in 2015

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilcoy02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have made a reservation for Fish Creek campground in Glacier National Park. In 24 hours the sites available had decreased surprisingly fast. Since 1/21/15 to 1/22/15

Here is where I will be camping on site C-141

FISH CREEK CAMPGROUND, Glacier National Park, MT
STANDARD NONELECTRIC
C141, Loop C- is a No Generator Loop.
Arriving: Thu Jul 09 2015 Leaving: Sun Jul 12 2015
Length of Stay: 3 (nights) $23.00/night.

https://www.recreation.gov/camping/map_o ... rkId=70974

If you are planning on meeting up at Glacier, make reservations quickly.

We plan on being fed , gassed, and kickstands up at 8:30am on Sunday 7/12/15 to head up to Alaska.

HOPE to see everyone there.

Any one who wants to ride part or all of this is welcome.
I am leaving Marengo Oh July 5th. for Denali Alaska
ST.RT.229 west
ST RJT.23 north
SR15 north
I-75 north
I-80 west south of Chicago
I-395 north
I-290
I-90 west
I-39 north Madison
I-94 north/west billings Montana
SR-3 north to Great Falls

US-89 to Glacier National Park
1,926 miles to GNP. 500 miles a day

Camping at Fish Creek Campground on July 9 thru July 11th. campsite #C-141
This is the only scheduled stop.

Cross into Canada
SR 2 north Thru Cardston to Edmonton
97 north to Watson Lake
1 north to Tok
2 north to Fairbanks

4,465 total Miles From Ohio to Alaska. One way

Minor item but you might want to check your route in the Chicago area, I live here and have never heard of I-395. I'm pretty sure you mean I-355. Depending on the time of day, you're better off staying on I-90 right through downtown Chicago and there aren't any tolls that way. Going through the city is not as intimidating as you might think. I do it all the time. Or even stay on I-94 up through Milwaukee and miss the tolls altogether. I-90 is a toll road all the way from I-294 to the Wisconsin state line. Illinois tolls aren't cheap anymore and you pay the same as a car. Plus, you pay about double if you don't have an I-Pass transponder aboard.

Thank You for the input.
I knew I did not have that part around Chicago figured out. That is about 500 miles the first day. I would rather camp west of Chicago than to camp in a downtown Chicago park.

Good point, can't imagine camping downtown would be a pleasant experience. You're welcome to stay here at my house if you want to. Dan stayed here when he came out to go to Joe's if you remember. It wouldn't be much, if any, out of the way.

That would be great. I am doing the real planning now. I have so many e-mails and things to reread and put into a plan.
I think your offer is kind. I am hoping for 500 miles the first 4 days and you are only 360 miles from me. So sadly I will decline at this time for the trip up North.
Now I have no idea how long this trip is going to last.

Now maybe I would take your offer up on the way home.

No problem, whatever works for you. Any assistance I can be, just let me know. I'll send you my phone number and email address and you can put it in your phone.

We can add your motorcycle to our I-pass account so you can run through to tolls without stopping. No additional charges if I add your license plate ahead of time.

I see your route but I think staying on 80 all the way to 39 and then turning North to Madison (depending on time of day) is actually faster.
Otherwise head up to Milwaukee and then west towards Madison using 94. You will be very close to me at that point, and if I am not at a rally I'll plan on meeting you along the route and donate lunch or a tank of gasoline for your trip.

I see your posts on Facebook about your Spot tracking locations. Are you testing it right now?

Yes I am testing the spot. I have yet to figure out how to post it to the forum.
Plus I have no idea how to use face book--not sure how spot is going there.
Thanks for the faster way to go.
I will send you Leroy's and my plate number closer to July.
Will also let you know about a banner for my trailer.

Paul- Madison is about 500 miles from me. Maybe we can camp in your yard?

Updated Routes as of 2/21/15 and guaranteed to change many more times. Because the members here are Super about helping when they know their stuff.

Getting real excited about getting my trailer back in a week.

I am leaving Marengo Oh July 5th. for Denali Alaska
ST.RT.229 west
ST RJT.23 north
SR15 north
I-75 north
I-80 west south of Chicago
I-39 north to Madison to see Paul (C-5) for a Coke.
I-94west to Billings
St. Rt. 3 north Lavina Harlowton Moore Great Falls
US 89 to Glacier National Park

1,926 miles to GNP. 500 miles a day

Camping at Fish Creek Campground on July 9 thru July 11th. campsite #C-141
This is the only scheduled stop.

Cross into Canada
SR 2 north Thru Cardston to Edmonton
97 north to Watson Lake
1 north to Tok
2 north to Fairbanks

4,465 total Miles From Ohio to Alaska. One way

Wes I live in Appleton which would be an hour and 20 minutes too far North, but if you are in Milwaukee/Madison area I'll ride down, treat you to dinner, and we'll can hotel it (I'll get more Americinn points). A hot shower and soft bed will keep you motivated.

If you decide to visit our home, the lower level (C5 World Headquarters) is set up for guests. You are welcome either way.

Paul-- I see you are a hair North of where we need to go.

Here is my plan to GNP at this time. Stopping the first 5 days.

Marengo oh to Madison wisc 464 miles 7/5

Madison to Fargo ND 502 miles 7/6

Fargo to Glendive Mt 389 miles 7/7

Glendive to Billings Mt 220 miles 7/8

Billings to GNP 367 miles 7/9 --7/11 and leave 7/12

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=141693#p141693:2lbvpm2y said:
wilcoy02 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:05 pm[/url]":2lbvpm2y]
Paul-- I see you are a hair North of where we need to go.

Here is my plan to GNP at this time. Stopping the first 5 days.

Marengo oh to Madison wisc 464 miles 7/5

Madison to Fargo ND 502 miles 7/6

Fargo to Glendive Mt 389 miles 7/7

Glendive to Billings Mt 220 miles 7/8

Billings to GNP 367 miles 7/9 --7/11 and leave 7/12

I don't have my schedule figured out yet (cycle and car events) but will try to keep that weekend open. It would be great to see you again.

guess'n you probly have it figured out,, i have travelled through chicago many times headed west, coming in on I94,, and it turns into 80-90 west.. gps is a good idea, you should be stopping at a toll booth one time. I have also gotten messed up doing it and seen parts of chicago i never wanted too!.... take a gps!

GPS is already mounted on bike.
Stopped at the seamstress this morning. He has a lot of it sewed together. Said should be done today or tomorrow. Will pick up Monday depending upon weather. I already know I will need to park bike out on the road and push the trailer up to the road. Amish do not shovel their drive ways of snow.

I will post a thread on how I built a camper on a 4x4 harbor freight trailer.

He could not fix my support on the bed to sleep on.
So I need to find 2 poles that will collaps into itself. ANY SUGGESTIONS?? About 30 inches
It supports the bed up off the ground. Needs to collaps due to the length to fit in the box when rolling down the road.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=142552#p142552:1r8hrzb6 said:
wilcoy02 » 8 minutes ago[/url]":1r8hrzb6]
GPS is already mounted on bike.
Stopped at the seamstress this morning. He has a lot of it sewed together. Said should be done today or tomorrow. Will pick up Monday depending upon weather. I already know I will need to park bike out on the road and push the trailer up to the road. Amish do not shovel their drive ways of snow.

I will post a thread on how I built a camper on a 4x4 harbor freight trailer.

He could not fix my support on the bed to sleep on.
So I need to find 2 poles that will collaps into itself. ANY SUGGESTIONS?? About 30 inches
It supports the bed up off the ground. Needs to collaps due to the length to fit in the box when rolling down the road.
How about camera tripod legs?
Maybe not strong enough....

Just a thought, you can find these adjustable height aluminum walker pretty cheap at flea markets, yard sales, I think I paid five dollars for this one and it measures 33" tall when set in the middle of six hole adjustment. This particular one, the sides fold inward to lay flat when not in use.
WP_20150306_001.jpg
WP_20150306_002.jpg

It will support a lot of weight.

I do not think camera pod would be strong enough but that is the idea of what I need.

The walker is a good idea. Will check out if it will be high enough when I get the trailer back