Shinko 230 Tourmaster performance reports

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
geee tires suck .... joel for real ...just start complaining to them ... its time to see if they will back them up ...as a company .... time to find out what the people are made of that are involve in this bad deal for you

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=115464#p115464:3iwq9ev9 said:
backlander » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:27 pm[/url]":3iwq9ev9]
Shinko 230 Wear Report: 3011 miles since install, running with counteract balance beads.

Front: New Center Tread Depth: 5/32 Now Center Tread Depth: Touching 5/32 line, not measurable wear.
Rear: New Center Tread Depth: 10/32 Now Center Tread Depth: 7/32

Basicaly 1/32 wear on rear tire per 1000 miles traveled on all kinds of roads except interstates, with approx. 1/3 of the miles pulling a loaded trailer.

No cupping or uneven wear on shoulder of tires. :moped: :moped:

6245 Miles since install, no flats, no problems.

Front: 4/32
Rear: 4/32

Sorry your having problems Joel, hope it works out.

I had a guy on another forum the other day that described some similar problems on his bike, but he came back later and said the directional arrows on the tire were on the rim right, BUT, he put the front wheel on backwards. Don't ask me how, that's just what he said. LOL. :smilie_happy: I did see on a VTX that it's rims had directional arrows on the rims. I still haven't figured out how that guy got everything hooked back up with the rim on backwards. Cracked me up !!!!!

backlander":1fce88ki said:
I had a guy on another forum the other day that described some similar problems on his bike, but he came back later and said the directional arrows on the tire were on the rim right, BUT, he put the front wheel on backwards. Don't ask me how, that's just what he said. LOL. :smilie_happy: I did see on a VTX that it's rims had directional arrows on the rims. I still haven't figured out how that guy got everything hooked back up with the rim on backwards. Cracked me up !!!!!

Yeah..putting the front rim on bass-akerds won't werk on mine...the speedo gear, doncha know... :good:
(guess you could take the axle out and swap sides, tho, eh? :builder: )

So...I've got 600 miles on these piggies....the wobble has not improved. I took the mudflap off, and raised the air pressure on both tires, with no change. I've gone back over everything to make sure no fasteners were loose/missing. The tires are simply too soft(imho). The wobble feel is worse in the evening when the ambient temps are up, and when I get home, the tires are really hot to the touch. I'll be lowering the air pressures back down to the recommended pressures this evening. Guess I'm just stuck with it the way it is. :crying: I did ride in some rain the other day, dint have any traction issues, so that's a plus, and the ride is nice enough. If these things will WEAR well, and not be out of tread in a month or two, I'll be otay....I guess....

I just had a thought....scary, I know....the noise I hear, which I already described as sounding like velcro.....I think I figured that out just now. It is the tread of the tires creating a suction on the road surface, and then "popping" loose(like a suction cup) as the tire turns. :good: :clapping:

:smilie_happy: :Doh2: :smilie_happy:
Sorry...I'm eating lunch, and the chocolate is goin to me haid.... :doh:

I wouldn't be lowering air pressure Joel if you feel that the tires are already running too hot. You need more air to keep the tires cooler not less :(

The wobble you describe actually sounds like it could be from case separation. If possible elevate the tires and spin them by hand and use a guide stick to make sure that you don't have an out of round tire.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=131287#p131287:1ef3d4aj said:
Ansimp » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:44 pm[/url]":1ef3d4aj]
The wobble you describe actually sounds like it could be from case separation. If possible elevate the tires and spin them by hand and use a guide stick to make sure that you don't have an out of round tire.

Funny you should mention that, Tony....I did that when I mounted them, and the rear tire appeared to be a little out of whack side/side. I put it down to possibly the beads not fully "popped" on the rim, so I fergot aboot it. Yesterday tho, I decided to fire it up on the center stand and had a look-see. Rear tire IS wobbly side/side. RIM is running perfectly straight....tire ain't. :rant: I don't feel any "wobble" at low speeds, as you would normally with a tire like that. I'll try to get a video of it if I can.
Anywho..I've got 1120 miles on this set now. Either I am getting used to the funky feel of them, or they are getting a little better. Can't say which, but it's not bothering me as much now. I measured the tread depth the other day, but have that at home. I'm just gunna come out and say it...the rubber compound on these particular tires is just TOO SOFT. I've still got a practically new Spitfire, and new Dunlop at the house, and neither of them have rubber as soft as these Shinkos. Did Shinko change the compound across the board on these tires, or did mine happen to get made on a Monday or Friday? Who knows....
I'm gunna try to contact Shinko and see if they can shed any light on this subject....doubt I'll get a response, but ya never know.....Bridgestone got back with me when I had problems with those tires, so.....it's worth a shot. :beg:

I am sort of glad to hear that Joe. The Shinkos I believe should be softer than some tires as they are closer in performance to my Metzlers and they are quite soft which gives them great wet weather and sports qualities. I was very happy with 6k miles of hard riding on my rear Shinko without any performance issues. The replacement Lazertech only lasted approx 3k here in Oz ( worse roads, more aggressive riding? And the dreaded driveway). The front still looks good but as I have a new rear 230 I would like to have a new front as it feels a little rough in the hard corners ( it has always been a bit noisy when cornering). That may be normal but I won't know until I change it. You need to get on top of this faulty rear tire Joe as the symptoms that you have described are all wrong in my opinion and wouldn't matter what brand/type of tire you had.

I just installed a Shinko 230 on my Schizoid bike. Its a 140/90/16 and is quite a bit narrower than my Kenda. I will check it for spin this weekend. I probably have 30 miles on it and it feels the same so far.

my 230(130/90/17) made it 16,000 miles, 98% interstate riding,3 nails with patch repairs inside tire and now has a sign of cords starting to show in 1 small spot. It did very well for me! I just ordered a shinko 712 to try this time(cause it was a few bux cheeper)hope it does as well. sounds like every thing else these day's... ya get a bad one here and there.. i got luckey and got a good one. I thought i better have a decent rear tire to go to Vegas and meet some of the Folks :cool:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=131927#p131927:fcrq6g50 said:
ekvh » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:50 am[/url]":fcrq6g50]
I just installed a Shinko 230 on my Schizoid bike. Its a 140/90/16 and is quite a bit narrower than my Kenda. I will check it for spin this weekend. I probably have 30 miles on it and it feels the same so far.

30miles probably hasn't got rid of the mould release agents yet :smilie_happy: As I have said before thanks to Backlander for putting me on to a great tire that I would never of considered. :yes:
:thanks: Mike :good:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=131930#p131930:3d4pqwyf said:
sgq700 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:10 am[/url]":3d4pqwyf]
my 230(130/90/17) made it 16,000 miles, 98% interstate riding,3 nails with patch repairs inside tire and now has a sign of cords starting to show in 1 small spot. It did very well for me! I just ordered a shinko 712 to try this time(cause it was a few bux cheeper)hope it does as well. sounds like every thing else these day's... ya get a bad one here and there.. i got luckey and got a good one. I thought i better have a decent rear tire to go to Vegas and meet some of the Folks :cool:

The 712s are not cut out for the weight of the GWs, many others have posted their disappointment with Shinkos and it was usually because of using the 712s on too heavy a bike. I almost made the same mistake initially :doh: . You need to get the 230s :yes:

Anyone using the 890 Journey Tour master tires? I have one on the front of my 95 gl1500 feels rock solid and today I just ordered a rear for my 95 goldwing.
I know I have been gone a long time, had an accident in july, but I rode my 89 Venture Royale with the 230 tour masters not too long ago and still an awesome great tire all the way up t of 85 mph two up.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=133374#p133374:3qdyned3 said:
Silverado6x6 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:14 pm[/url]":3qdyned3]
Anyone using the 890 Journey Tour master tires? I have one on the front of my 95 gl1500 feels rock solid and today I just ordered a rear for my 95 goldwing.
I know I have been gone a long time, had an accident in july, but I rode my 89 Venture Royale with the 230 tour masters not too long ago and still an awesome great tire all the way up t of 85 mph two up.

Good to see that your are back, hope to see more of the 6 wheel drive Silverado :whip: :yes: :good:

I'm afraid my last posts were a long long time ago, been sitting of at GWF the last couple months, if anyone is interested there was a thread I started, "I lost my back seat partner" over there.

But anyway, I'm back, retired now and getting back to my bikes.

As of today, I have 3300 miles on these Shinkos. The weebly/wobbly feeling is not AS BAD, but still there. They look to be wearing ok, but the measurements don't support the visual. The rear is no longer rounded in the center(<>), but mostly flat([]) across the tread. The front still has some roundness to it.
Front tread depth is: .143" (compared to original tread depth of: .160")
Rear tread depth is: .150" (compared to original tread depth of: .300")...so the rear is basically half worn at this point....in just a little less than 2 MONTHS.... :roll:

:fiddle:

Latest posts