I'm new with 1st Goldwing

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have a 1986 Honda Goldwing Aspencade GL1200 SE-i. I was parlized for eight years and now walking after such hard work, all I want to do is ride.
I bought this bike and was told it only needed a Ignition Control Unit. After changing it myself it is still shutting down after 10 to 15 minutes running. After it cools down it starts right up. Everything else on the bike runs great. Please help if possible. Thanks Jason Rayburn

Welcome from Southern California! It sure sounds like the pulse generator(s) at the front crank sprocket are acting up. I don't know from experience, but every story I've read about these coils failing sounds just like yours. I've heard that the 1500 units are still available new, and can be modified to fit the 1200. Good luck with it!

Welcome to CGW and Im glad you are going to be able to experience 2 wheels again after such a long recovery. Truly inspiring.

Wish I could be more help on your electric issue but Im lost on that one for now.

Try posting your question in the shop talk/tech section. Prolly get more people looking there..

Check your wiring blocks for a good connection, check the wires for chafing..with it being a common problem for the 1200 pulse generators you need to buy known good or new, you don't want to buy from a non running 1200 or you may just be replacing with another bad unit. Should be a way to Ohm test them I would think.
I would think there is a way you could check for voltage when it dies, even if you have to ride it with some body work off carry a voltmeter and when it dies check for voltage then, while running everything will show normal so any test need done when it dies.
Welcome to the forum.