carb rebuild

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kengland

Reaction score
Hello and Good morning all. Am new to site but looks really good. Have question that I'm sure some of you more seasoned guys can help me with. Have 1986 1200 WING. Love it, but was having some runability issues. So..dive into carbs. Am okay so far but the "pilot screw" port is capped/plugged.
Looks like a factory issue. Havent picked at them too much, but do I even want in there? Do I need to get in there? Any Help out there?? Thank you in advance

Welcome aboard! Since you love it you must be riding. Leave them at the factory setting if at all possible. Carefully check the diaphragms for pinholes and tears. When you reinstall the carbs check for air leaks then add 4-6 oz of atf to a full tank of gas and do that each fill up. That will keep cleaning the carbs and it just get's better as you ride.

Thanks very much. Will not touch them since I really can't get to them. Was just wondering if I should try n pry those plugs out. A bit more info tho. There is only 1 per pair. The other "port" has vacuum line to it. Am I saying the wrong words/description? According to book I have, this is what they are calling it. Appreciate the feedback. Thank you

What sort of issue are you experiencing with the carbs at this time? I noticed that my enrichener linkage (choke) was stiff this year. A few drops of 3in1 oil and moving it by hand got that moving again.

You can check to see if the circuit is blocked by blowing compressed air though the pilot jet, you should feel some air exiting the little pin holes on the carb throat but as slab said, I wouldn't mess with them any further.

:thanks: Thanks for all the welcomes n comments. One asked what kind of issues I was having. #1 poor milage, about 20+. Should be much better so I'm told. When cold, lots of bucking n snorting, missing backfires a bit. Warm... Better. Also kinda loud compared to other wings I've been around. The only real info/ remedy I was suggested was from Honda shop service advisor. Carbs! he said. As I was disassembling I found a lot of loose bolts, gaskets/o-rings w/gasket goo on them. Trying to seal somethin up I guess. I'll continue on with rebuild( between other projects n work) and stay in touch with you guys. Thanks again. :thanks:

Sounds like some got there before you and was a bit less than professional about it. Good luck fixing it.

If they are off do a rudimentary carb sync using a feeler gauge on the butterflies. Also do another when you get it running, makes a huge difference on these bikes.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=149524#p149524:1t2813vo said:
kengland » Mon May 25, 2015 10:05 am[/url]":1t2813vo]
Thanks very much. Will not touch them since I really can't get to them. Was just wondering if I should try n pry those plugs out. A bit more info tho. There is only 1 per pair. The other "port" has vacuum line to it. Am I saying the wrong words/description? According to book I have, this is what they are calling it. Appreciate the feedback. Thank you

If you are going to do a true rebuild, which I always recommend, you should remove the plugs. Take a small drill, maybe an 1/8" or so and drill just through the plugs. Then take a screw, like a drywall screw or self tapping sheet metal screw and screw it in until it bites into the plug. Grab the screw with a set of vise grips and wiggle the plug out. They come out pretty easy.

Before you remove the pilot screws, screw each one in until it lightly seats and record the number of turns for each screw. Then after your rebuild you can simply re set the screws to the factory setting.

IMO if you are going to take the time to remove and disassemble the carb rack, why would you not replace all the rubber parts as well so you are absolutely sure you are fixing the problem. It's not worth the doubt that you will always have from cutting corners. Do it once, do it right.

We should probably continue this conversation in the tech forum.

Oh yea, Welcome to Classics!

Latest posts