Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:thanks: Hi I just inherited a 82 GL 1100 from my wife's father who passed away last year in Florida. It has been idle for many years and has not done well in the high humidity here. The family wants me to restore it. Before I take it home to Colorado I wanted to be sure it would at least run. I got it running but it won't idle and it knocks when it is at what should be idle speed. It almost sounds like preignition. It has 75K miles. I have heard these engines will last much longer and don't believe it is a rod bearing because as soon as you crack the throttle it sound perfect. Any ideas? Ps. I don't have a computer here all I have is my iPhone so communication is slightly limited.
Thanks.

Both of you. Welcome! Randy you need to clean and be sure carbs are set right. Danny the guys here will help you get the charging system right.

Yes worth the trouble to get the carb's cleaned, fuel tank, etc. If you know that the bike was NEVER abused, like if he had it since new, of for a LOT of miles, & or years. :good: MOST owners were not the type to abuse them, if so they are really amazing as to the way they just keep on going with virtually no issues. :yes: My goal in life is to wear out my four before i die. :whistling: Not having much luck, :nea: as my 91 is pushing 150,000 miles, still runs like it did when it was new. :BigGrin: My three 1200's have the same attitude,(were all going to be going STRONG when you're DEAD) :hihihi:

Okay it is the summer know and I have changed the timing belts and learned how to set the tension correctly, after setting them a bit too tight on the first try. I set them to the spec and wound up reseti g to 10 mm free play the second try. The bike is running great so smooth it is amazing. Also put a set of Shinko tires on and really enjoy the feel of them. I do ride over a steel grid bridge twice a day on my commute to work and enjoy the sensation.

Latest posts