1981 gl 1100

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curlyjoe

Reaction score
hello goldwingers new to the site I ride a 81 gl 1100 very awesome machine been working on it for bout a year turned it in to a nake wing I really love this old wing question iam wanting to lower my rpms at hiway speed I seen I can change the final drive and put a 83 gl 1100 final drive that will do what I want it to do is this true and will that final drive fit my 81

The 83 final drive will fit your 81 but the gear difference is only very slight.
Not worth the work in my opinion. I have tried it.
The real difference is in the transmission gearing, which requires opening the engine to change.

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the fun. I think you might do better using a 1200 rear. Although the rpm seems a bit high on 80-81 models they really seem to be quite happy at that rpm.

well thank u for your reply I think I will ride it for now but in the future I will do something to the tranny

Welcome from Oz. I feel that the sweet spot on my 81 is 4k to 5k rpm which may be detrimental to fuel economy but the old Rats Nest sure goes well and doesn't mind the redline :yes: :moped: :good:

I agree its happy spot is 4to 5 rpm iam always tryin something diffrent guess I should keep my hands out of it and ride brain fart I will ride

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=154512#p154512:3n7lquye said:
curlyjoe » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:14 pm[/url]":3n7lquye]
so a 1200 final drive will bolt up to my gl 1100 81
It will but it's not exactly plug and play. You need to install a 1200 output drive. I'm not certain but the only one I know fits is the 84. I'm pretty sure you need the 84 1200 rear cover with the drive. The swingarm,driveshaft with U joint, final drive and wheel. I'm not sure if you need brake caliper and mount from the 1200 but I think so. Still easier than changing transmissions but not a simple thing really.

Welcome to the site from New Jersey! :clapping:

I installed an '83 engine and dropped my RPM at highway speed quite a bit. Originally, I had an '81 engine in an '82 and ended up with the '83 engine and I could not be happier!

welcome to classic ..my opinion is 1200 final will do good in 80-81 1100 bikes ...eesult would be a we bit taller first gear than you would want ... and a 5th gear that will get you a right ar 4000 maybe bit less rpm in 5th gear at 70mph.....

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=154513#p154513:1e2kivju said:
Ansimp » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:20 pm[/url]":1e2kivju]
Welcome from Oz. I feel that the sweet spot on my 81 is 4k to 5k rpm which may be detrimental to fuel economy but the old Rats Nest sure goes well and doesn't mind the redline :yes: :moped: :good:

I gotta agree - it is fun to tickle the red line every once in a while. Jut be ready to put some extra fuel into the tank.

Welcome from PA!

Latest posts