GL 1000 LTD

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hybrid455

Reaction score
Hi Guys. I'm rebuilding this LTD. The engine proved out but the carburetors are a mess. Going through them now. I hear that Randakk is the man for carb kits but his site is closed down till the 18th and I want kits this weekend. Does anyone have first hand knowledge of an acceptable rebuild kit other than what Randakk has to offer? Some vendors on EBAY have them and I was looking at Sabre Cycle but are they any good? I'm impatient for the parts but I don't want to do it twice.

DSC_0388.JPG

DSC_0385.JPG

DSC_0351.JPG

I was looking at Sabre Cycle but are they any good?

Many have had bad experiences with Saber Cycle as a business, others have had bad issues with parts. Some aftermarket parts from them are OK, but it can be a real gamble.

The Randakk kit is a very good kit and (in my opinion) may well be worth waiting for, although not the only good kit out there. Others will chime in with their recommendations.

hmm i hate to counter what others say butt randakks s is super incomplete kits that are over priced gaskets sets to me ...there are many other kits out there that are m ore complete and cheaper rather bad carb racks are going to need parts ..not just gaskets in my opinion ...

The real issue with these carbs is the cruddy deposits, the age of the many rubber parts, & if someone with rough hands has been inside. As well as plugged idle jets, the other jet's, & air passages inside.Nothing that tough, needle & seat as well as float bowel gaskets are likely needed as well.

I would suggest the Randakks kit because of the quality material used. Remember that gasoline is not what it once was and inferior material will fail. I know of many Goldwing owners who had excellent results with the Randakks kit. When rebuilding carbs you want to do it once. :Awe:

A tear down is recommended first to see what you have. The recommendation from many is to keep the stock Keihin brass parts if they are still there and usable. Quite a few sources made replaceable needles and jets, but careful scrutiny with measuring calipers show most of them to be out of spec quite a bit. Some may have been on purpose: I have some that the needles were about 0.125" longer. May have been that makers attempt to produce better gas mileage.

Randakks kits and info clearly detail this and he makes no claims contrary. The expensive parts beyond Randakks are the float needles and valves which most also recommend using OEM Honda. That's another $100 on the bill at least.

For identification, as I remember, the Keihin parts have a small k and a star symbol on them. Run fast away from Sabercycle. I had a set of cheapos from eBay called TruJet or something that used a rubber that exploded in size when in contact with fuel. Viton is best in the long haul. When you add it all up, PistolPete offers a pretty good deal. I am not sure if float valves are included in his rebuilds, but it does include new shaft seals. He stands behind his work.

Boiling the carbs in distilled water prior to disassembly saves a lot of frustration. It softens the varnish nicely and allows quick cleanup if done while still warm.

Thanks to all for the input. I have a lot to do so I will wait for Randakk. When I pulled the carbs apart the rubber plugs covering the pilot jets resembled old nasty silicone sealer. I had to pick it out in clumps. Ethanol is hard on rubber parts so the VITON and reinforced bowl gaskets make sense to me. The carbs on the LTD have the correct numbers and still have all of the Keihin components but one main nozzle is messed up. The LTD carb numbers are specific to the LTD but the Honda parts catalog shows the same nozzle part numbers for the 76 Gl1000 which has different carb numbers. Since the nozzle is no longer available new maybe I can source a used 76 gl1000 carb with the correct Keihin nozzle at a reasonable price. After research and reading all the disclaimers I am a little put off by the aftermarket nozzles that are available so without anyone's personal experience or recommendation to the contrary I'll pass.

Latest posts