Hello from Pennsylvania

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcr68beetle

Reaction score
New member here with an 81 interstate.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    398.7 KB · Views: 419
Thank you for the warm welcome. We got the Goldwing in 2001 with 20,000 miles and it has 93,000 on the clock and climbing. I found the forum while googling for rear shock/spring options to freshen up the rear. The wife and I are a bit heavier and the bike is a bit more tired this year and on a recent ride we bottomed out a few times so I figured it was time to address the rear. They hold air, have fluid, just old...

Welcome to the forum, kinda rare we get a member that puts 73K on their oldwing, either it gives them trouble and they give up and sell it or upgrade to a 1500 or other more comfortable bike..still a clean looking 81 you have., I would say a set of progressives would be the way to go, especially if you can crack your old ones open and install them yourself, might think of doing the front in progressive if you still have the originals.

New springs in your shocks with a rebuild is the best option. That being said so far my second hand progressives work really well on the Rats Nest. :yes:

Welcome from Oz

[url=https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=179287#p179287:2wufnjd7 said:
Ansimp » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:51 pm[/url]":2wufnjd7]
New springs in your shocks with a rebuild is the best option. That being said so far my second hand progressives work really well on the Rats Nest. :yes:

Welcome from Oz

Welcome to the "club"...although you didn't need us for 73,000 miles, we're glad you stopped in!

With respect to our esteemed member from "down under" (he and I actually agree more oft than not) I do NOT agree with the rebuilding suggestion. Only because air isn't really needed - AND Progressive has an awfully good product line. Even their "lower" tier 412 series would be a good choice.

Besides, pay the money, open the box and install the shocks. Coupla hours. Gets a bit more involved if you go the rebuild route.

Of course, if you enjoy that sort of thing...

hello jc, welcome toCGW. if you have bags on your wing the progressive 416 would be the better shock to buy, if you get the 412 shocks you will have to remove the bags to adjust the shocks for solo or two up riding

I've had progressive springs in the front since about 35,000 miles. The only thing keeping me from buying the progressive springs and a seal kit for the rear is the fact that I would need to make a jig to compress the shock for disassembly. It still has the stock air assisted shocks in the rear. I'll check out the progressive bolt on options. Thanks for the tip.

Latest posts