New from Monterey CA

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ply318ci

Reaction score
Hello I picked up a 1978 GL1000 about a week ago and am working on getting it running well. So far I have changed the timing belts, spark plugs, oil, and coolant. Going to check timing and vacuum leaks here soon because the bike isn't quite running right. It runs better with the choke on, even when warm, then off. I can't give it quick throttle or it stumbles and almost dies, I have to slowly roll it on, but when I do roll it on it picks up and goes. Big girl can run.

My biggest problem is it does pop out of first gear. I have read i will have to replace tranny parts but if there is another possible solution I am all ears. I just cleared my phone of all pics so I will post some tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the fun. Is the ignition stock points system or later electronic? Pretty sure 78 is mechanical advance only. Needing choke to run says the carbs need cleaned. Or they are sucking a lot of air where they shouldn't.

Welcome aboard. :hi: Sorry to hear about your trans issue, if the motor is ever pulled you might consider a transplant of an 1100. :headscratch: Keep your eyes open for a wrecked bike with a good drive train at a good price. :good: Parts for these old beasts are getting more & more expensive & harder to find. :sensored: Splitting the cases, sourcing the needed parts, can become a nightmare, :head bang: compared to a transplant. :salute:

Ansimp":3c9xdvtd said:
Welcome from Oz
slabghost":3c9xdvtd said:
Welcome to the fun. Is the ignition stock points system or later electronic? Pretty sure 78 is mechanical advance only. Needing choke to run says the carbs need cleaned. Or they are sucking a lot of air where they shouldn't.
Denver":3c9xdvtd said:
Welcome aboard. :hi: Sorry to hear about your trans issue, if the motor is ever pulled you might consider a transplant of an 1100. :headscratch: Keep your eyes open for a wrecked bike with a good drive train at a good price. :good: Parts for these old beasts are getting more & more expensive & harder to find. :sensored: Splitting the cases, sourcing the needed parts, can become a nightmare, :head bang: compared to a transplant. :salute:

Thanks guys for the welcome. Yes it is mechanical ignition. I will check for vacuum leaks later to see if that is the problem of not I will tear into the carbs. I was able to find a set of trans gears and shifter forks on eBay for a good price but from what I have heard a transplant is way easier then splitting the cases and replacing parts. For now the bike has no problems starting in second gear so until that goes out I am probably going to put any major engine work on hold. But I will keep an eye out for an 1100. Thanks.

1200 can be fitted too. If it were mine I'd get used to holding it in first for take off then ride normally. Maybe a few oil changes will make the trans work right? try running it with 4-6 oz of ATF in the fuel every fill up. Then when traffic is light run up the rpm and chop throttle and let it coast down. Force the carbs to use the idle circuit that way several times each ride. It may very well clear the carbs and save you the hassle of tearing them down.

Welcome, probably not leaks but more likely clogged low speed fuel circuit, pulling the choke pulls more fuel to make it compensate for the lack of fuel from the low seed circuit.

Awesome thanks guys. Thanks. I have never heard of running ATF in fuel before but I will try it. Beats tearing the carbs apart. Thanks.

Welcome from Arizona. I was in your neck of the woods for Laguna Seca MotoGP in July. Great corner of the USA. As Slabghost has suggested, a temporary workaround for popping out of first gear is to physically hold the shifter lever down with your foot until it's time to upshift. That's not a fun problem to have as it most likely suggests worn gear engagement dogs. There's no quick, easy fix for that condition, unfortunately.

Not the best pic but here is one.
62c6a45e437b3f65f151fe3aea47245d.jpg

Sorry it was at night in my small garage.

2fdb357da69d09eaad26f453e09e81bd.jpg

Thanks. She is actually in good shape. The battery is toast and it is missing the front turn signals but over all in good shape.

Latest posts