Needed a 'project'

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pidjones

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wife likes for me to have projects. This one ought to last a couple years. I've owned a '77 and '86 SEi, and have put 78k miles on my '06. I found a '78 on Craigslist nearby. Rode down to look at it and saw that it would need a lot of work, but made the incorrect assumption that most GoldWing owners in general take pretty good care of their machines. Boy was that wrong! This was actually a '75 engine (shows I should have spent a FEW more minutes checking it out) in a '78 frame. The engine must have been half-submerged for a long time, as it has a line of heavy rust in the belt area. He oil was dark but free of rust, water, coolant, metal flakes, etc. The coolant was brilliant green - hopefully indicating it has not been run through the engine much, and I can flush it out and replace it with HONDA silicate-free. Not having a matching engine and frame, I won't attempt a true restoration. Instead, I'm going to try a cafe-style. Not that easy with all of the extras HONDA gave us, and the geek in me won't part with the metering the '78 has. Still, it will have whatever can be removed pulled or ground off. Tires will be selected for performance, not retro-look. Right now, I'm doing remediation of the water damage (none seen in the intakes). Headed to Harbor Freight for more sandblast media today. Belts are off so the idlers can be renewed (pulleys on order and will pick up a few bolts to cut down on my lathe). Rebuilt the carbs already, and need the timing belt area cleaned and renewed before checking compression. After that, the engine comes out and frame work begins. I've already used this site, NGW, and goldwingfacts (A long-time member there) for knowledge-gathering.) Thanks to all that share!

Welcome to the best classic Goldwings forum.

image.php

Greetings from the Sunshine State.

Live long and prosper. God bless you.

Last week I chanced upon a project bike, its repairable but its extensively water damaged from having the carbs off, lost number 2 cylinder the pitting was so bad, this winter I will tear into it and buy a pair of case halves, I have a powdercoat shop across the hiway where I live, the owner gives me a break, I plan on doing the frame something exotic like maybe a copper or possibly a gold finish, I want different.

I'm not hijacking this thread as I have one on the Free Gl in Alaska but being that I have lived here 22 years and our winters are occasionally longer than 6 months I can really get into a project, luckily for me I have a huge shop at work for my bikes with their own area and workbench. I am getting a large dry erase board and setting up sections for each bike color coded for urgency or dormancy, like my 80 CX500 that was just painted and I was willing to sell it well I took it out for a ride the other day and found the head bearings shot, like a really bad notch in the race, so thats an urgent fix.
The 81 GL1100 with the bad cylinders is going into deep freeze while I round up case halves for it.
Plus I'm getting a bunch of those cheap 5 gallon tubs with lids from Walmart to keep all the parts in so they don't get kicked around the shop.

uploadfromtaptalk1373246524241.jpg

Worked on it more this afternoon, with most of the rust removed from inside the belt area, both idler arms redone with machined bolts ready to receive new bearings coming in Tuesday. Cleaned enough to rotate to the belt-change position and remove the old belts so the pulleys can be cleaned. Finally did initial polish one one of the belt covers.
ype4a6at.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1373246464120.jpg

Sent from my LePanII using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts