Greetings from Lucan, Ontario

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thylanes

Reaction score
New member here, riding an '83 Goldwing Interstate named 'The Pig'. I've had her for about 4 yrs now......been a challenge at times keeping her running, but hopefully with the help of some of the gearheads here, I'll be able to continue for another few years without buying a new(er) one.

Thanks for the welcome, Ansimp. I've seen a few of her sisters around, but they're getting fewer and fewer as the years go by.

You found the right place for advice on your 83. You'll have to go some to find a new issue we haven't already.

Thanks Slab....i'm sure that between all the members here, you've seen pretty much everything that can happen to a 'Wing. Wish I'd come here instead of trusting my baby to a certain 'mechanic' over the winter. To say he butchered her would be kind.....and unfortunately the only bike shops around here (small town) are oriented to Harleys and newer metrics.

Had a new problem today - after riding into town and gassing up, she wouldn't start. Seems like there is a dead spot in my starter (no surprise there), but usually if I move forward in gear and pop the clutch to rotate things, it clears it.....this time, no such luck. Called the auto club in case it was a dead battery, and took off the covers to make sure the tow truck had quick access. After waiting for a while, I did the usual thing, and tried it (again)...and this time she started.

Went off and did my thing, left her running while parked, and about 10 minutes later, heard a strange noise....my fan starting up (NEVER had it start up before). When I looked down there was a pool of coolant running out from under the bike; talk about panic. When I killed th engine to check, it was draining from one of the three hoses that hang down behind the engine. Once again, wouldn't start.

Took off BOTH covers, let her cool down, and sure enough she started again, so I was able to get home ok. Now I'm wondering about the level in the rad...I checked the top-up bottle inside the false tank, and it is full, so I don't know if it is plugged, or if I just didn't really lose that much after all.

Oh well, tomorrow is another day. Still need to change out my headlight (did that last year, and it was a pain, but at least this time I know what I'm doing....sorta).

I strongly suggest you get to the radiator filler neck under the false tank.maybe the tube to the reservoir is cracked or disconnected not allowing coolant to return to the radiator as it cools. With the started giving you trouble you probably should get a rebuild kit. They aren't costly and the rebuild is more time consuming than difficult.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=126690#p126690:1efq8v62 said:
slabghost » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:20 pm[/url]":1efq8v62]
I strongly suggest you get to the radiator filler neck under the false tank.maybe the tube to the reservoir is cracked or disconnected not allowing coolant to return to the radiator as it cools. With the started giving you trouble you probably should get a rebuild kit. They aren't costly and the rebuild is more time consuming than difficult.
+1 :yes:

Welcome from Southern California!

One of the tubes behind the engine is the coolant reservoir overflow tube. If the engine got hot while idling (you said the fan came on, but what did the temp gauge read?), the radiator cap should keep the coolant in the system. If the cap is tired - after all, it's 30 years old, if it's the original - coolant will expand into the reservoir, and when it's full, it flows out the overflow tube. When it cools down, the coolant returns to the radiator, assuming the tube in the reservoir isn't broken. If it's broken, air is pulled into the system.

I'd put a new radiator cap on it, and make sure everything's full. Check the tube inside the reservoir. You should be OK.

Thanks for the welcome guys, and yes, I plan on starting some miuch-needed maintenance this week. Starter is (probably) the first thing to be done. I am pretty sure I can get it off, and then I will send it out for a rebuild. Still learning my way around this site; is there a quick link on how to remove the false tank (and hopefuly it's easy to do

Latest posts