New member with a barn find.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello. Is this thing on??? lol I hope I am on the correct page.

I recently acquired a 1981 GL 1100 out of a farmers barn in the middle of nowhere Kansas. I stripped it down and now the going back together is happening. It has been fun and my goal is to keep the build as low budget as possible.

I figured I ought to get a bigger bike because my little '74 Trail 70 isn't very fast. But it is still a lot of fun.

For what it is worth, I have been riding off and on since I bought a new Yamaha Trail 80, "The Cat", when I was in the second grade. That was around 1974. I have had a variety of motorcycles since then. Of course, I wish I had kept them. In fact, when I picked up the GL, there was a 1978 AMF Roadmaster Mo-Ped and I snatched it up. It has a two cycle McCullogh motor on it.

So that's it in a nutshell. Thanks for letting me join!
Regards,
Joel M. Miller

Joel, welcome to the site from New Jersey! :clapping:

Start a new thread on your build! We would love to follow the progress (and pictures!)

Thanks for the welcome.
I am still wandering around on the site to see what is what. When I am ready to post some pics, it was suggested to start a new thread but being unfamiliar with the site, does that mean to just start a new topic? I know the question might be silly but I don't want to waste anyone's time on here.

Thanks again!
I need to jet to pick up my boy and some parts. But not in that order. I will organize my pictures of the GodWing and get them posted. It got that moniker when a buddy of mines mother accidentally left out the "L" in a post on FB. It sounded good and so it stuck.
Take care and be safe!!!

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=132188#p132188:td3nrltz said:
Joel M. Miller » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:10 am[/url]":td3nrltz]
Thanks for the welcome.
I am still wandering around on the site to see what is what. When I am ready to post some pics, it was suggested to start a new thread but being unfamiliar with the site, does that mean to just start a new topic? I know the question might be silly but I don't want to waste anyone's time on here.

If you go to the home page you will see all the listings and you just go into the appropriate area and select the new topic box and away you go. There is also a tutorial available from the home page if I remember correctly :good:

Well, thanks again.
It has been a slow process but I keep plugging away at it. I went up to NAPA and have a K & N oil filter cartridge on the way. It was only seven bucks and they had one in KC. I have also located a headlight bucket but the tube mounts I found are the same size so the search will continue. The fairing has a big crack in it so I opted to leave it off. I don't really want to invest the time in fixing it. I come from an auto body background and so I know better than to even mess with it. I am going to dig around on here and see if there are any examples I can reference. Imitation IS the sincerest form of flattery. This bike has been in a barn for 13 years and the mice made an apartment complex out of it.
I hope that doesn't offend any GW purists that I am minimizing the outline of this momocycle.
Thanks again for all of the welcomes and hellos!!
JMM

Wow Ansip, hats off to you. That IS a rats nest. My journey was just a walk in the park as far as the wiring goes.

Gerry, thanks for the links to the bikes. The one that sat outside for 12 years was a shame. That was a really neat windshield.

I don't know how "pretty" mine will turn out but my goal is to keep it cheap and fun.

Thanks to everyone for all of the friendliness!!! I come from a part of the country where we all know each other and we wave at strangers. I really appreciate it.
JMM

Latest posts