GL1000 Ignition on a GL1100

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phavas

Reaction score
I am planning on changing the cams on my GL1100 sidecar outfit to run the GL1000 ignition system off the left cam.
It looks pretty straight-forward: wiring seems simple enough. Has anyone done this?
I have both points and a couple of DYNA systems of different generations, I am tired of spark knock and un-adjustable ignition on the GL 1100. :head bang:
Any information is greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
PJH

Been done. Better alternative over Dyna or points is the C5 ignition . There is a version to fit in the stock 1100 location and a version that will fit in the 1000 location. No vacuum or mechanical advance with the C5 to screw things up. It times the multi spark just right in accordance with the motor rpm. 3 sparks every cycle. Fully adjustable.

Joedrum did this a while back. I believe he had to do some grinding on one of the pieces to make it fit. He will be along soon to tell you if no one else remembers.

im here ... i am the parts mixer here ... it is very doable phavas ...it can be done without taking heads off also ... personally i do lots of hand work on the cam and rockers so the parts run smooth and have no ridges ... rocker shafts can be switched to where you have new shaft for rockers to fit on ...75-77 1000 cams seem to work better in 1100s than 1000s ..bring great power to the table over stock cams... it is possible to have the 1100 ignition as backup ignition ..ive done several bikes bikes this way and use all the 78-79 cams also ...so if your wanting to do this your in a good spot here ...welcome to you ...you sound like me ....

Totally cool. I have a bunch of extra heads and rockers and shafts. I got some 76 GL1000 cams that look pretty good. I'll have them cleaned and then polish them up. Now, is it as easy as it looks on the wriing diagram? Just route the yellow and blue/yellow wires from the coils to the contact / Dyna set?

well there is a coil mismatch here that the dyna cant live with long .... if you have a set of green 3ohm dyna coils to use with the dyna it will best set up as dyna goes..... but yes nothing to hard about hook up want parts are fitted in

Got the cams and points in. Had to grind off a bit from behind the point cover to fit the 1100 head. Split the timing and it works very well indeed. Much smoother power and more of it. I removed the distributor from the back and plugged the hole with a piece of gas hose with a compression bolt through it. Then I made a blanking cover out of an old oil bottle. Looks OK and doesn't leak.

Hey phavas, Joe knows of me. So I'm watching this post with interest because I'm doing exactly the same thing as you are.

Only difference being that I'm doing it with a C5 and not the regular points ignition, ie, 82 motor, 75 cams.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=143268#p143268:32q8k0u2 said:
joedrum » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:47 pm[/url]":32q8k0u2]
ok chilli you must have the m series of c5 that uses stock housing ? ,,,that what im doing also

Man I hope so, I need all the help I can get!!!

Only recommendation I would make is to source a GL1000 head, then you won't have to grind away the bottom part of the lip on the distributor housing. It's not hard, but the 1000 heads have the detente already cut out and their otherwise identical.
Hook up is easy if you run your wires forward to under the main plugs. I relocated my condensor up there as well which I guess you don't need.

Good luck! Let us know how it worked out for you.

Latest posts