Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLDavis3639

Reaction score
Total Posts: 1

I have really enjoyed and appreciated all the wealth of good advice and the personal involvement people put into helping each other. So thanks for what I already received from reading this forum in the past.

Local time: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:38 am
My Rides: 2006 Suzuki Katana 750
1996 Yamaha TRX 850
1987 Honda Aspencade GL1200A

Profile:
I mostly live overseas - I return there in mid-December for a three year stint. Then I hope to be retiring back to OKC. So I am chasing the weather here in OK (which has been great so far) and the calendar to try and get this wing running. I will really need lots of suggestions on how to set one up for a three year storage - it will probably end up in someone's barn or shed (I hope).

I bought an '87 GL1200A - and definitely paid too much. It was a bright sunny day, my wife climbed up on it with a grin (she hadn't been on a motorcycle with me since about 1988) the bike was clean and started right up...etc. I forgot every ounce of good advice and common sense I had about buying with the eye and emotion instead of really checking it out.

I thought I would just ride it until it was too cold and do repairs and upgrades along the way. Nope, second day it turned into a lemon. I have been working on it ever since - a lot I could say, but I love to work on them almost as much as to ride them - but this is an expensive stationary hobby so far. This is only my second wing - I owned an '82 Aspencade back in '88 or so.

Thanks for all the good advice here and glad to see so many folks here from Oklahoma. I am in Southeast OKC/Moore and working under an open carport - anybody want to come by and give me a hand - GLDavis3639 - [email protected]

I am currently doing some soldering and rewiring and other things along the way
-did the three yellow goblins right off and pulled all other connections - electric sprayed and cleaned them and then did the dialectric fill. -did the timing belts - now thinking I better go back and re-look at that.
-right off had to rebuild the starter,
-put in a drive shaft in
-changed oil (it was sludge - the bike must have sat about 4 or 5 years - but I think it had the original oil and oil filter and air filter and
yikes, definitely the original fuel filter (the guy said he did the carbs and that the oil looked good to him --- hmmmmmmhh)
-flushed and flushed and then changed the coolant - it had grey sludge in it big time
-then oil again
-gas tank has no rust, but lots of hoses with some rot problem -
-I am attempting to do the more direct wiring I read about in other forum - off the solenoid the two large red w/white stripe and the white with red stripe more directly to the juice and to get the juice more directly to the starter (with 30 amp inline fuses).
-I have been surviving on DIY info and videos - just finally got the manual from Amazon - not buying anything from them again.

Hasn't run enough to be sure what I got -- I will post more as I discover what I have ahead of me. I will try to get some pictures up soon.

GLDavis3639

well welcome again it dosnt sound to bad to me ..but 1200s have there special needs ..lots of parts not made anymore ..especially in ignition...but in my view it is the best of all the short blocks of the oldwing4s ... my bike hooch is a conbination of all the yrs bast parts put together in my opinion ... i hope the carbs are good too they are quite expensive to bring up to par also ... just read around ..backlander has great knowledge of 1200s in stock form ....hes the 1200 man here ..

Welcome to the forum, Not sure the sludge in the coolant is a good , should be just clear or clean coolant in there. If the water pump goes then it can send oil into the coolant.
Sounds like your on the right track with everything, Good luck.

Welcome to CGW. Smart move, check and triple check those timing marks, make sure your using the right marks and rotate it by hand many times to make sure it's right, time well spent and eases the load on the pocket book. Good luck with your project.

Hopefully your wife still has the GW grin. Keep up the good work and you will have a great ride once again :good:

Latest posts