What did you do to your Wing today ?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For no other reason than I was in the garage (cool now in Phoenix in the AM - finally) and I hadn't done it since rebuilding and installing the rack. I really wanted to see how they'd held sync.

Pulled out the handy-dandy CarbTune and had at it. The answer is - they held pretty well. I didn't bother even adjusting. But, I can say from experience that poorly synch'ed carbs can cause anything from poor, erratic idling to sub-par top end performance. My 1200 would actually "sing out of tune". You could hear it. Had one carb on that rack that liked to "reset" itself.

Not today. Close enough for gub'ment work...

Attachments

• IMG_2023.JPG
    IMG_2023.JPG
    189.6 KB · Views: 227
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=179907#p179907:2e0yelyf said:
aussiegold » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:59 pm[/url]":2e0yelyf]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=179772#p179772:2e0yelyf said:
aussiegold » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:22 pm[/url]":2e0yelyf]
took my LTD out for a spin and noticed immediately how well it seemed to be going. or rather, how down my blue 75 was performing.
hmmm, checked the normal things but it seemed to be bogging down a little. got an inspection mirror and had a look at the carb slides and there was bugger all movement. weird.. unbolted the carbs , removed the tops and slides. cleaned the slides and caps with some polish , then washed them down with wax and grease remover. put them back, and it is running much much better. although it does seem to need a lot of revs to lift the slides. not sure what is normal tho......
i'll take it out tomorrow for a test.
went out for a spin and it did not perform as well as i wanted it to. still bogging slightly and holding the throttle at 2000 in neutral , it just did not sound smooth.
did notice a little backfire in the plenum from number three, when revving it . hmm. pulled the plugs and all looked ok. carb synch good.
went over the valve clearances and one or two were a little tight. nothing serious.
took the points cover off, and checked the static timing on the C5, BINGO..... :Egyptian:
the slotted wheel of the unit had a smidgeon of movement and the timing was actually off.with further investigation it was revealed that the packing washer to hold the wheel tight , was just a bit too thin. played with it a bit and it was possible to be fooled into thinking it was tight ,but it was not. got a thicker packing washer and retimed it.
have just had it out and all is good with the world... in fact, i'm going out again... :salute:
:good:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=179911#p179911:1x7dk87l said:
desertrefugee » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:55 pm[/url]":1x7dk87l]
For no other reason than I was in the garage (cool now in Phoenix in the AM - finally) and I hadn't done it since rebuilding and installing the rack. I really wanted to see how they'd held sync.

Pulled out the handy-dandy CarbTune and had at it. The answer is - they held pretty well. I didn't bother even adjusting. But, I can say from experience that poorly synch'ed carbs can cause anything from poor, erratic idling to sub-par top end performance. My 1200 would actually "sing out of tune". You could hear it. Had one carb on that rack that liked to "reset" itself.

Not today. Close enough for gub'ment work...
file.php
Very nice, makes my cheap ebay gauges look ordinary.. :yes:

Took the old girl downtown to a old iron get together. Had a great time out on the bike. Jetted it up to 62 on the mains Thinking of going to a 65. That right side engine rattle noise is quieter since I did the up jet. Still think it is lean up above 4400 rpms. With them Jardine exhaust and Acell coils. But its better than it was for sure.

Attachments

• Downtown.jpg
    Downtown.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 154
I took off the cut-down windshield and put the stock height shield back on....getting ready for some welcome cooler weather

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=180621#p180621:4upt1r8f said:
brianinpa » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:43 pm[/url]":4upt1r8f]
I took the main main jet out of the carb and dropped the darn thing on the floor. They are hard to find...

It's in your left shoe.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=180686#p180686:za6zb1mr said:
detdrbuzzard » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:52 am[/url]":za6zb1mr]
once I got home from henry's I gave the wing and the mighty ST 1300 a very good check up, both will be on the road tomorrow morning
:good: :moped:

dan: I haven't taken a lot of time off of work just a few four day weekends mostly but I've put a lot of miles in during my extended weekends. i'll be off today and Monday and will be heading down to Marietta, oh for three days of fun

The Gold Witch overheated Sunday morning. I had to add coolant and luckily enough I was at a gas station and they had some pre-mixed coolant. Got it home okay. Started looking at everything; the cap was nice and tight, then i checked the fan and it is not coming on. I
tested it with a battery and it was as dead as my grandpa. I have to say that I had never heard the fan come on so I think I'll do a little search here to see when it should come on.

I found one on ebay and ordered it and went ahead and ordered an o-ring for the thermostat cover. Going to make sure it is okay while I have the radiator off. Just to be sure.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=181201#p181201:c3ic8pfn said:
dan filipi » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:43 pm[/url]":c3ic8pfn]
Good excuse as any to ride the wing :good:
I'm going to be riding the wing more even when I get the mighty ST 1300 back home, it needs a set of tires but I'm not ready to buy a new set of Pirelli angle gt's for it. I thought about getting some shinko raven 009's to finish out the riding season and switching out to the Pirelli's in the spring and might do that

I left out early yesterday to go over to mom's and mend her fence, on the way I stopped downtown. looking around and seeing that no leo's were around I took these pic's

Attachments

• 20160925_085638.jpg
    20160925_085638.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 168
  • 20160925_085651.jpg
    20160925_085651.jpg
    482.1 KB · Views: 168

Latest posts