Moving up From a 1200 to a 1500 to an 1800

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=193496#p193496:324acbe5 said:
pidjones » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:44 am[/url]":324acbe5]
1000 > SEi > 2006 GL1800 for me. 108k miles on it now and I've done all of the work save tire changes (I carry in the wheels) and a speed sensor buried in the engine replaced under warranty. I plan to take her over 300k as the wife and I enter retirement in a few months and plan to tour while we still can.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk
:good:

@Rednaxs60
You write the 85 (ltd?) is as smooth as a 1800. do you think a carburator 1200 is more, less or the same smooth as the ltd? Never riden a ltd or sei but there are still a dream for me. My 86 aspi is very smooth but the 1800 i once could try was smoother with its 6 cylinder. My personal opinion about the 1800 is i tought having to ride it sportier than with my 1200. i could not cruise at all. [emoji4]

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=193506#p193506:3bcr07je said:
JoeBarTeam » Yesterday, 10:32 pm[/url]":3bcr07je]
@Rednaxs60
You write the 85 (ltd?) is as smooth as a 1800. do you think a carburator 1200 is more, less or the same smooth as the ltd? Never riden a ltd or sei but there are still a dream for me. My 86 aspi is very smooth but the 1800 i once could try was smoother with its 6 cylinder. My personal opinion about the 1800 is i tought having to ride it sportier than with my 1200. i could not cruise at all. [emoji4]

I believe I mentioned that the 1200 is almost as smooth as the 1800. The 1800 is smooth from start to finish. Have been riding my 1800 for the past few weeks as I have the 1200 down for maintenance, and there is no replacement for displacement, and the 1800 is smoother all round - 6 cylinders instead of four; however, once the 1200 is moving and up to speed it is very smooth as well.

I find I'm more engaged with the 1200 than the 1800. You have to make sure you don't lug the 1200 whereas the 1800 can be ridden around town in 4th and you might have to shift for a light. The '85 LTD does not like to be lugged - it performs better when it is closer to its power band that I find is from about 2800 rpm and up. It does have a slight vibration when you let off the throttle and coast, but this only when I let it off completely.

The 1800 has a different centre of gravity. I find it is higher and because of this takes a bit more getting used to when doing slow speed especially if wanting to do a u-turn in a small space. The turning radius is larger than the 1200.

The 1800 with a good suspension can be a good sport touring bike. The OEM suspension does go soft after some 50,000 Kms. The suspension on the older bikes need to be upgraded as well. Any suspension after 33 years needs some TLC and necessary as it keeps the tires firmly planted on the road.

As for the difference between a carb and FI 1200, can't say. I do know that the benefits of FI are more in the starting and general all round operation of the bike. I would say that if a carb 1200 is well maintained it should work and be just as smooth as an FI.

The 1800 is a nice bike and I would recommend it; however, my reasons for having and riding the 1200 has a cost component to it as I am fully retired, and I love tinkering and keeping it on the road. If you have the want to ride one of these older GWs, once the mechanical is done and you have found a source for specific electrical/electronic components, these older GWs will give lots of trouble free riding miles.

Hope this short post has answered your question.

the turning radius on a 1500 or 1800 wing is going to be larger than that of a 1200 wing, just look at the wheelbase of the machines. since getting my 1500 wing back in 2008 I've said that my 1200 wing turns faster because of the shorter wheelbase but for handling the 1500 was a better bike. the other thing I mentioned was the fact that a 1500 or an 1800 wing doesn't need to be reved to 3000 rpm to be in the " power band " nor do they need to be ridden around town in 4th gear, there is plenty of power to put them in 5th gear and ride around town and here that means 30 - 35 mph

My experience with 1500 and 1800 is quite the same like you both write and i still love my unperfect oldwing 1200 and won't change next. It was just open for me if a smooth difference between carbs and EFI in 1200 can be attested. I once saw in a test that EFIs are slight shorter in 5th than carbs but no one said about power or mpg differences to the carbs ones. Maybe they are quite egual. As i saw you writing about smooth like a 1800 i wondered because 4 to 6 cylinders makes allways a smooth change. Thanks for your answer. Is maybe someone who has ridden both 1200 (carbs and EFI) and could tell about it?
Greez
Joebarteam

Well I found that with the SCC mod to hooch and other mods done I will put smoothness in the hooch bike better than any wings made by Honda ....the 4 wings are solid mount bikes ...the 6s are rubber mount ...there actually unbalance compared to the 4 wings ....

The rubber mount makes a lot. What if the mounting is the same?The 4s take the smooth-lead?

Horizontally opposed are really smooth and the more cylinders you add the smoother they get.

Ah hell, maybe I'll buy a Harley.

czolts1.jpg

Latest posts