1986 GL1200 SE-I

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sledge

Reaction score
I am really thinking about trading my 1983 GL1100 Aspencade for this 1986 GL1200 Aspencade SE-I , its fuel injected , all orignal Pearl White with Gold trim . i rode it a few days ago , rode good , run good , but my question is , has anyone owned one before , or know any thing good or bad about them first hand ??? this is only the second one i have ever seen for real , ( not in a picture ) I have a friend with one Just like it . he has had his about a year i guess , but he never rides it , soooo he really doesn't know much more about them than I do . anyway , thanks for any advice , good or bad . :laptop:

well there is a parts issue with them ..but i think overall they are probably the best 1200s ...if all the stuff works ....i like you havnt been around them much ..i was looking at a 85 limited for awhile..couldnt swing it ..wanted to much for me ...

hey there Joe , ain't the 85 LTD and the 86 SE-I almost the same bike ??? except the name and the color ?? i read that somewhere . and another thing I read was these are the only 2 Goldwing 4 cyl. with Fuel Injection . but anyway this guy wanted to trade for something a little lighter , and more easy to turn around , he is wanting twice as much for this 86 as I have got in my 83 . but we are trading even , couple of bad things and couple of real good things about the 86 .... bad thing is it don't have a Backrest , and I REALLY Need a backrest to ride any distance , BUT it Does have a new looking Jell Seat on it front and rear . sits and rides real good , another thing was , it has a real nice radio BUT it's not the orignal radio . first thing I noticed about riding it was ... even though you can just look at it and see its a bigger bike than the 83 , it feels smaller when you sit down on it , and when your riding it , i really don't know why . anyway thanks Joe , and everyone for any advice . :laptop:

sledge steve 83 really know these FI motors set ups ...so you have some great help here with his knowledge...glad you got one ..lucky guy this is like having a water buffalo to ride in rareity :BigGrin:

I have a1985 GL1200 Limited Edition and they are identical except mechanical just have different colors. Only sunset gold for 85 but the SEi was a darker green or a creamy white. When they are running correctly they will easily run wit a 1500 two up and small trailer. Parts for injection system and all the gadgets are hard or impossible to find except used but many of us have modified Honda car parts to fix many engine problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks Joe , yeah you know I have always been a Water Buffalo fan , I have had 11 of them ... thanks Donpaul , like what kind of parts will fit off a Honda Car ??? and what year and model car ??? just asking , maybe i won't ever need any .... :hi:

I'll scrounge up what I can for you but I have used aNapa universal fuel pump, throttle sensor there is also a post floating around for the fuel filter. Vacuum lines are an age problem but that stuff is easy to get. The electronics are a different story. I have converted mine to one of the "poor boy" alternator kits and that solves a lot of glitches due to low voltage. I've also got progressive front springs and rear shock assemblies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK , I traded for the 86 SE-I 1200 , i took it out today and rode about 40 miles........ with no Drivers Backrest , really done a number on my lower back . I have GOT to come up with one ...BUT , the bike runs like a new one . has all kinds of Power , smooth pulling power , from Low RPM's .. everybody says its the Fuel Injection . sure makes a difference . :laptop:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=158697#p158697:29va852b said:
joedrum » Yesterday, 8:48 pm[/url]":29va852b]
sounds great sledge ..backrest yep i like them too big time
+1 backrest (someone or something)

thanks guys , well..... today I built all the Frame Work for the Backrest , tomorrow , I hope to make the Pad , and it will be ready to RIDE ! I have learned this Old Age Thing is Not for a Wuss ...... I used to do more on Break , than I can do all Day Now . . . soooo , I guess i'm a Wuss ....... :smilie_happy: