harbor freight lift

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mysteryrider

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have and have been using this harbor freight lift my only real issue is when putting the wing on it especially the 1500 I have nearly dropped the bike over. just wondering if there is a trick to doing this that I don't know. I understand that it would be safer and easier with 2 people but regretfully that's not generally an option for me.
I have been thinking about building a wooden platform around the lift so the bike and I stay at the same levels as it is loaded but I wont have room to try that idea until I get a bigger area to work on it in. (something that's in the works) anyway just looking for some advice

Attachments

• image_21230.jpg
    image_21230.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 422
I have the same lift but it's still in the crate. So I'll be very interested in what is discussed here. I have read there is a better wheel chock but have not seen it at Harbor Freight.

I've had and used this lift fori a couple of years now and the lift works great as for the wheel vise I barely use it I just run 4 tie downs and leave it at that

I'm working on buying this building and land to put my woodworking shop and setting up one end as a place to work on my wings since the garage is just too full lol

Attachments

• 20151004_174925.jpeg
    20151004_174925.jpeg
    77.8 KB · Views: 404
Complete with loading dock! Looks like a good place to me. I'd jump on a deal like that if I could find one near.

The true sweet deal to this building is it is about 100 feet from my front door lol. I can see it from my living room
I went though Gallery and found this pic from it with the building in it
the white building in the upper right corner is the same building

Platform is the only thing that comes to mind, on another note I hear the safety rod that comes with the lift bends with big bikes on it so be careful or just replace the rod with a heavier steel one.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=167492#p167492:2kdpvyd0 said:
joedrum » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:14 pm[/url]":2kdpvyd0]
yes they several styles made one is rather engineered by idiots
I have to agree. while the lift works good it is too narrow to stay astride the bike and load it and just tall enough to make keeping the bike balanced loading it is a challenge

I read somewhere a guy built benches for either side of the lift to make it wider and safer to load. Benches were level with the platform down.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=167494#p167494:36u4kn3w said:
slabghost » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:31 pm[/url]":36u4kn3w]
I read somewhere a guy built benches for either side of the lift to make it wider and safer to load. Benches were level with the platform down.

that's what I have been considering doing. thanks for the knowledge that it has been tried and apparently worked

If memory serves he made either side removable once it was up. So they would be out of the way for close work.

I have that lift. The wing is on it now. Had a wing get away from me early on and dropped it while trying to finish getting it up on the center stand. Luckily no one got hurt and the bike fell onto clear floor without doing any apparent damage. Boy was I horrified and then relieved. Since then I have a strap fastened to the wall with the bike end hanging near where the handlebars will be after riding the bike onto the lift. After driving into the wheel chock, (always a stressful moment!) I hook the strap to the handlebars so the bike can't fall more than a few degrees away from the kickstand. I have a 1/2" thick block of wood to catch the kickstand, this keeps the bike closer to vertical while I stand on the lift and pull the bike up onto the center stand. The wheel chock is ok, but I don't ask it to do more than keep the front wheel from turning.
I've done this maneuver many times and it always gets my adrenaline going. Especially when I don't get into the wheel chock on the first try. The Vetter fairing is in the way and the last sight of the chock is just as the front wheel comes onto the lift. I have to remember to put the wheel chocks under the lift wheels so it doesn't slide away while coming up the lift ramp, Always an adventure!!!

Attachments

• IMG_4177small.jpg
    IMG_4177small.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 273
I have never attempted to ride the bike onto the lift that just seems like a recipe for disaster if the lift where about a foot wider I would try it but as narrow as it is I fear missing the lift when putting feet down and over I go

Some 2 by scrap's, stacked & or fastened together for your feet. :popcorn: Unless you weld on some side extensions, which means it takes up more floor space. :roll: Even my Handy B O B table is too narrow to put the side stand down with out the side extensions, or boards stacked up for the side stand, till i get it onto the center stand. :sensored:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=167517#p167517:gir1z1oi said:
kerryb » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:02 pm[/url]":gir1z1oi]
And don't EVER forget to put the kickstand up before rolling back off the lift. (you can probably guess how I learned this)
:shock: OH NO YOU DIDN'T! :Doh2: That could be a painful lesson! I hope it wasn't too bad.