front fork...?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joedrum

Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok ive just change my tire on the front wheel by hand.....the hooch bike has a 1200 wheel on 1000 forks...i want to stiffin thing up on thr fotks.....so ive got a crazy mod i want to .....1200 wheel fills the fotks up ...and where the fender bolts are is right at fattest part of tire is.......and fender wont work on it...though i modded a piece of fender on the bike.....

ok now for mod im thinking of doing.....brake caliper bolt holes ...seem centered on fork leg.....ok ? is im eanting to turn fork lowers 180 drgreee so that fender bolts are facing the outside of lowers....this will give access to use them better ....and to mod a fender fork deal to stiffen things up.....ok this would put calipers on the front of forks instead of the back of forks......it looks to me it would change nothing on how calipets fit disc......with the only deal being R caliper would go on left ....left on right.....

ok comments and straiten me out if im not thinking right in my observation

If you swap tubes you should be able to keep the calipers to the rear and expose the fender bolts to the outside. No idea if calipers will remain centered for rotors though. Glad you got the tire mounted.

Interesting idea. Seems like everything should function ok except maybe the opposite push on the caliper mounts when braking?
I'm of little help on those forks you have but I'll have a look at the 83 forks I do have, which are anti-dive so may be all together different.

intetesting comments....V im very limited on tools....so i cant do like you said....though that would work for sure......hmmmmm wait a second....could loosen fork tubes and switch them....wow i could do that.....then i wouldnt have no worry about what dan btought up about different torque on brake mounts and all.....now this seems like a plan .......anyone see problem ?

yrs i got tire change ...was going to pics and all of how i did it ...but couldnt figure out posting pics yet on my new nightmare android tablet im using.....changing tire was much easier....LOL...and the other thing that threw me....is i couldnt find any air to bead the tire shresh ....man real gas stations from the past that ate gone now....wws a huge lost for america....in my opinion :cheeky:

The last station here just changed to one of those stupid pay air hoses. I'm glad I have my compressor.Yes I was suggesting swap both fork legs from side to side. Might work. I never tried it.

im for doing this....the plan is to mod a super brace fender for the forks....to beat any fork brace out there....with stuctural talents this wont be hard at all.......to me most fork braces are not up to there intentrd claims.....and easy to best.....

If the brakes are mounted on the front of the forks, you will lose any bracing effect you currently have with them mounted on the backside. Mounted on the back, the brake calipers are pushed into the forks when applied. Mounted on the front, the calipers will be pulled away from the forks when applied. Will it make a difference?

There's one way to decide for sure. Try it and see what happens.

Either way, a strong front fork brace is a good thing.

yes purple ...i agree I found a way to do the brakes on back ...and have done it ...by switching right fork tube for left....and left for right....now I'm adjusting things......this thread was great ...the collected opinions ...made for no false moves......

well got the tire aired up and beaded and on bike...went through the brakes ..took them apart ...cleaned them up and bleed them ...no new bearing in steering head ..but went through them.....rrsult of switching tubrs on forks made 1200 wheel install on 1000 forks much easier ..as there more clearence.....and is now set up to mod a stiffer fork set up out of the 1000 forks ....

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=173825#p173825:23kcioao said:
joedrum » Tue May 24, 2016 10:21 pm[/url]":23kcioao]
well tony ..i seem to be rxperiencing operatr failure on my new set up .....this might take brain surgety to fix LOL
Good luck with the surgery Joe :good: :smilie_happy: