Hi Amperage output.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldWrench

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dan suggested I start a new thread and see how confused I can get, it isn't hard.

Ok, put a amp clamp on my 83 and it is telling me at 2k rpm I'm getting 32 amps coming out of the voltage regulator. As Dan said, that just doesn't sound right and I agree. Now the battery was weak at the time so it made sense that I would be getting max amps out of the regulator. This morning I rechecked it with a fully charged battery, and I was showing 22.4 amps.

I'm using a fluke multi-meter and a fluke plug in amp clamp that is normally pretty accurate. Question is with a weak battery if my math is right I shouldn't be able to get more than 25 amps. Any thoughts on this?

im no numbers guy but all it takes is for a stator to be wound a bit more ...and it will put out more....along with better wire than stock and wound the same....can do it ....

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=174082#p174082:26hvn199 said:
slabghost » Sat May 28, 2016 8:38 pm[/url]":26hvn199]
Keep posting Joe I'll figure it out.

:smilie_happy: :hihihi: :smilie_happy:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=174073#p174073:254m930d said:
joedrum » Yesterday, 5:04 pm[/url]":254m930d]
im no numbers guy but all it takes is for a stator to be wound a bit more ...and it will put out more....along with better wire than stock and wound the same....can do it ....
Also there isn't much if any info out there testing a stator output this way for comparison so there could be a lot of variation between stator builders both OEM and aftermarket, so this higher output could be perfectly normal and expected.

Hope the negative report's on Electro Sport are not true. :beg: A place called Custom Rewind in Alabama, owned, & operated by a fella named Gary, used to make them for everybody. Seems he made up stators that i had ordered from both sides of the country, figured out where he was by the newspaper's he wrapped his stator's in. :hihihi: Bad news i heard, was he has had a bad hart attack, & can no longer work. :crying: I bought two of his last four stator's K & L had, :yes: Would have bought them all, but cash is always in short supply. :roll: Was told by different people places like Rick's in N H, was selling E S stator's now, :roll: as no one can get Gary's anymore, :nea: the wire is not as thick a gauge as his was, & not as many wrap's of it. :head bang: All of the stator's that i've had from him, have worked great. :thank_you: Can't speak from personal experience, about E S stator's, :nea: but if i was to need another one, there's people who repair electrical motor's, would talk to them, :headscratch: or go with an alternator from a car. Which would require an extra set of timing cover's to cut up for the mod. :doh:

I'm just wondering if the PO could have replaced the stator, there is one available that is suppose to put out 350 watts and that would get a little closer to what I got. I'm going to run the battery down and retest it, this time I will take a picture of the amp reading.

That stands to reason a guy would buy a better stator if available. :yes: May be a Honda replacement, :headscratch: have heard they were supposed to be guaranteed for life, if replaced with a factory one, done by a dealer. :whistling:

That stands to reason a guy would buy a better stator if available. :yes: May be a Honda replacement, :headscratch: have heard they were supposed to be guaranteed for life, if replaced with a factory one, done by a dealer. :whistling:

I didn't know they were guaranteed for life, but if I'm not mistaken the higher wattage stator is aftermarket, I'll do some checking on that.

You hear a lot of things said by people, & dealer's, till time comes to deliver, then they start the old tap dance routine. would think you would need to be the person had the work done, & done there, been a regular service customer forever, sonce new. You might stand a chance, but do not know how much luck you would have even then.

Latest posts